Psychology student looking to enter in HR

Hello everybody, 

My name is David, I am a 28 years old Psychology student from Spain living in London for 1 year and a half and looking for some advice about how to enter in the HR field. I have to say that I am in the last year of my degree and hopefully in December I will be a Psychology Graduate (in the worst case scenario I will finish in July next year).

I dont have any CIPD qualification neither HR experience at all, my current job is in a very different sector without relevance to the field. That is why I am trying to get some help about what steps should I do to get a very first related experience. I am thinking about doing a master after finishing my degree, but in the meantime I would like to know what is the best I can do to gain some experience. 

Do you guys think would be a good idea taking a level 3 course in HR or better wait to finish my degree and go straight to the Master? Do you believe that would be possible to get an internship or some entry level job before doing the master? What kind of job should I start looking at considering I dont have any relevant experience?

I am very lost about this and I woul really appreciate every advice, I am sorry in advance if this topic has already been discused.

Thank you very much

Best regards,

David

• Hi David

I think doing a Master's degree and a CIPD level 3 course, whilst also looking for work would be far too much for anyone to handle. I would suggest just focusing on one at a time.

What is your passion? Is it psychology or HR?

If it's HR, I would leave the Master's for now and get a general understanding on HR via the level 3 course, and the apply to HR assistant/admin roles. You may also be able to ask your current company if they have any positions open in their HR department to see if you can shadow and gain experience.

I wouldn't look to do a Master's in HR until you have a good grasp of HR and what it involves. You would probably be able to complete the Master's, but you wouldn't get much from the experience as you would have nowhere practical to put your learning to the test.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
  • Hi David, judging by the posts in this community getting into HR is a very competitive business so it's good that you're planning ahead.

You might also like to consider making contact with the British Psychological Society who have a Division of Occupational Psychology (OP). OPs get involved in many aspects of HR such as recruitments, assessment, training and organisational development. You could perhaps use your psychology degree as a stepping stone into one of the larger consultancies and eventually into corporate HR.

www.bps.org.uk/.../division-occupational-psychology
  • Hi David,
    I have a degree in Psychology and decided to go for Master's in Occupational Psychology just like Anna mentioned earlier. While studying Master's, I got a job as HR Administrator, although I cannot say whether my studies were the factor of being employed. Couple years down the line and I am currently looking to start CIPD Level 7 and I have realised that I am more passionate about HR than OP, although I really enjoyed the Master's. If I could turn back time, I think I would have considered to start CIPD Level 3 and build my experience on that. Try to decide is it HR or Psychology you are more keen on and if it is worth spending all money on Master's degree rather than spending on CIPD where maybe your real passion is....? Good luck!