School Governorship: is it worth it?

Hi all

I have recently seen a few adverts for the opportunity to be a governor of a number of local schools. They often want someone with HR experience. 

I know that this would be tough - they say it would be around a day a month but I am sure it would be much more. However, I would like a place on our Company's board and felt that this would potentially give me a (safer) stomping ground and an opportunity to work strategically, whilst offering my skills which I'm sure would be rewarding.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

4 Jul, 2017 10:01

In reply to Debra Rita Byrne:

Very grateful to everyone for sharing their experiences on this thread - especially those contributing for the first time. Welcome :)

Great discussion thread.
  • In reply to Stella Day:

Hi Stella
    Would be great to connect, not sure if we should share contact details on here, is this something Steve could help with?
    Emma
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Hello
    I am happy to share contact details if you can arrange that Steve
    Many thanks
    Emma
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

11 Jul, 2017 13:28

In reply to Emma Roberts:

Emma Roberts Stella Day... I'll put you in touch with one another. I'll email.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

16 Jul, 2018 12:42

In reply to Steve Bridger:

Definitely worthwhile... as I think this thread proved.

https://www.inspiringgovernance.org/cipd123/

• At the end of the day, being a school governor is only as good as the school you're with just as it is with any other role in any other organisation.

I have been a governor for a primary school (3 years) and a secondary school (8 years), as well as a charity trustee (2 years). Whilst all of them were initially taken on for selfish reasons, there is also an incredible satisfaction and joy received from doing some good.

I can only speak for the roles I held, and others will have different feelings, but I found the following:

• The primary was hard work, and I didn't feel particularly valued - I often felt like the adult in the room being a spoilsport and stopping their fun. They were very nice but being a primary it was small and very close-knit. It was like coming into a family in the way a distant second-cousin feels at family doos; whilst you sort of know the people in the room you haven't been part of the day-to-day running of the family so you don't really understand what's going on - the in-jokes, the subliminal messages, etc.
    • The secondary was great. Being bigger it was more like dealing with a proper business. I felt valued and my opinion was sought and listened to (although admittedly not always followed). It wasn't particularly onerous in terms of time taken, three full committee meetings and three sub-committee meetings a year plus the occasional other 'job' such as being on the panel for a senior management role. As with any of these it takes as much time as you're willing to give it.
    • Of the three, I find being a charity trustee the most rewarding. It is a 'proper' company, with the corresponding real business questions and problems. Charities really value the help their trustees give and you feel you are doing a good job. Again, not particularly onerous with regards to time, again it will take as much as you want to give it!

My encouragement would be to take a dive. Whether it's a school or a charity, they will (or they should be...) very willing to meet unofficially, to show you round, and to chat about the organisation. If they don't want to do this be suspicious - what are they hiding? Don't just think of 'good' schools in terms of exams and Ofsted, think of where you feel you can make a difference. It's like buying a house - as soon as you walk through the door you just know it's the right place.