HR Entry Level Roles

Hi all,

I'm looking for some career advice. I currently work as a part time HR Administrator/ Nurse. I am  currently doing my Level 3 certificate in Human Resources . I'm very keen to move into a single role as an HR Administrator  but am struggling to get any further. My current organisation has already made it clear right from the get go that my role isn't one I will be able to progress with while there.

I have been to a few interviews and seem to get positive feedback but never land the job due to ; Previous person retracted resignation, Company stopped all recruitment or they never respond, which leaves me wondering.

I look on recruitment sites often and I send my CV out when I do find appropriate jobs. I wonder if there's anything I'm doing wrong or is anyone able to offer me any advice? I work hard and I'm really keen to progress and learn a lot more as I no longer feel I'm learning much or being challenged in my current role.

I am based in York but will gladly travel to Leeds, Scarborough for a job

Many thanks for any advice you can offer. 

• Hallo Alexander

A road safety analogy comes to mind:

Landing that job offer is a bit like being unfortunate enough to get injured in a car accident - for every injury accident, there are (say) 20 collisions not involving any injury; 100 minor bumps and a great lot of near-misses / unsafe driving actions - say even 1000.

Thus it's a kind of statistical pyramid. Obviously, bad / unsafe drivers who get involved in lots of near-misses and collect loads of bumps and scrapes will be far more likely to end up injured in a proper accident than those better / safer ones who keep out of any near - misses.

For near-misses substitute job applications. For injury accidents read job offers.

Sorry if stating the absolute obvious - sure you get the picture.

The implications of the above are of course that you need to up the numbers of events lower-down the pyramid in order to land that job. Both quantitatively and qualitatively: both in absolute numbers of job applications and in making these applications more likely to end up on the shortlists.

The fact that you're getting on some interview shortlists augurs well: you just need to get on more of them if you possibly can. Both by quantitative and qualitatative methods.

Often, though, people end up being interviewed for a job having for one reason or another circumvented the above processes. For example, through personal or social contacts or whatever. You may need to maximise all your social networking or self-promotion for job hunting. This can bring results far more quickly than arduously climbing that pyramid.

Just a couple of random thoughts - hope of a little help and all good wishes for landing that job!
  • Hi Alexandre, you have my total sympathy, if you have time to do a quick search for historic threads on this forum for this subject you will find, sadly, you are not alone. A couple of things spring to mind:
    I personally find recruitment sites are not particularly useful as I get the impression I am one person among tons of others all fighting for the vacancy and as a rule my efforts are wasted. So my suggestion would be to apply for jobs where there is a clear closing date for applications as I have found my efforts generally seem to be more worthwhile.
    In terms of recruitment sites I wonder which ones you have used. People Management have one, so do Personnel Today and Indeed do feature some HR jobs but not very many. So these are worth considering.
    One other possibility is (depending on your personal circumstances) is to do some voluntary HR work for a charity, even if only one day a week as this experience could help to increase your employability.
    You don't mention where you are doing your course but if it is at a local college they generally have noticeboards displaying notices from local employers with potential openings or a careers/job service offering similar information.
    As you are getting interviews there is clearly something attractive about your applications so please do see that as a positive factor.
    I suspect you may have to simply keep sending through the job applications until you land that first job, that's certainly what I had to do to get my first HR Assistant role. And as for not receiving any feedback - well, would you want to work for an organisation which doesn't respond to a very simple request? I am reminded of an HR interview I did back in April 2011, I did not receive a response to confirm I was unsuccessful - I simply reached that conclusion after a few days - and followed up with a couple of telephone messages to confirm. I'm still waiting for a callback ......
  • In reply to Clare Marie:

Hi Clare, I have been using Reed,Indeed,Jobs Rapido , Jobsite but to name a few. The frustration of recruiters promising the world and then never hearing from them again seems to be the norm. I have attended two interviews, one gave me very positive feedback but a previous employee retracted their resignation hence it lead to organisation not offering me the position. I am based in York but happy to travel into Leeds , but their seems to be a shortage of serious employers /Jobs. It's a vicious circle and I feel for everyone going through it.
    I have over 3 years experience but unable to find an entry level position and have tried to get into a volunteering position as you mention but there are none in my surrounding location.
    Thank you for providing me with the two sites , I have registered.
    I will continue to send applications and hope for the best.