Help getting first job in HR

Hi,I would like to start a career in HR and to do so I'm studying a Level 3 Diploma in HR practice.Due to my lack of experience in this area I'm finding a bit hard to design a proper CV that could get me at least an entry level position where to gain some experience.

Few years ago I moved to UK and to support my stay I have been working in hospitality and retail mainly. I think some of the skills can apply to any HR role and even though I am a Law graduated in my country I'm finding hard a first opportunity in HR.

Any tip about how to design my CV to make it look more HR related and help me to get my first HR job? Any help would be so much appreciated.

Thanks

C.Katia

• Hi Carmen, welcome to the Community. Sadly you are not the first person to feel the frustration of getting that first step into HR, there are many threads from others with the same difficulties. I wonder if you have checked out the Career Hub on this website for some guidance, link is:
    www.cipd.co.uk/.../cipd-hub
    That might get you off to a good start. Good luck.
  • In reply to Clare Marie:

Thanks. I'll have a look at it.
  • Hi Carmen, the fact that you are studying will be of interest to a prospective employer so make sure they can see that clearly. I found that the way to get in to the first role was to take a part time job and that put me in the right place for improving my prospects. It meant juggling 2 part time positions, 1 in HR and the other at the local supermarket. It kept me grounded! Good luck.
  • In reply to Andrea:

Thanks for the tips. Probably a part time job would be easier to get,I'll keep that in mind.