Career advice please?

Hello everyone,

I was hoping there may be someone who is able to offer me some guidance for my career plan? I currently work in recruitment and last year decided I wanted to make the change into HR so completed my CIPD Level 3. However I am now in a tricky spot, as much as I would like to be in the position to drop salary and go in at HR Assistant level I can't afford to do so. Could anyone give me an idea of the best route in to HR from recruitment? I currently recruit HR professionals and this has given me a great insight into the job and I am even more keen to make HR my career.

I hope you can offer some ideas please?

Elizabeth

• Welcome Elizabeth!

A bit of a problem, but wouldn't abandon your aim unless there's absolutely no option: even some short-term privations might be well worth it in the long term. Would suggest making use of all your present HR-recruiter contacts: chat them up / put the word about re your ambitions and your L3 and generally adopt a blunderbuss approach hoping that one or more bits of shot will hit the target. You have quite a big opportunity perhaps with all your present contacts, so exploit it shamelessly!

Otherwise, some voluntary HR generalist work might move you up the stakes as regards relevant experience

All Best, whatever.
  • In reply to David:

ps

I'm reminded of a former distant colleague who in his youth worked in the local Employment Exchange (Jobcentre+ these days) as in quite a junior capacity. A big employer locally contacted him about a trainee HR vacancy they had, and he asked if he could himself be considered for it.

He did well there over the years and ended up as a board director with all the
    associated trappings: all because he decided to set off on an alternative, less-trodden path.
  • Hi Elizabeth. The traditional approach has been to move in-house as a recruiter and then branch out from there. If you join a large enough organisation that should be possible - and may not require you dropping salary.