Having the Level 7 qualification but no work experience - what does my future hold?

A little background about myself- I am a 21 years old, full-time student. I have done my under-graduation in economics and now, I'm currently pursuing my master's in HRM at Loughborough University, UK.

Despite having the necessary academic and theoretical knowledge in HR, I believe that working on-field will teach one more as a working professional in terms of applying the acquired knowledge and putting it to practice. 

However, in my case, I am willing to apply to entry-level HR positions to gain work experience, but there does not appear to be a way around this will. The problem is- I am overqualified in terms of my academic qualifications and underqualified in terms of work experience.

How do I, or anyone who is in a similar situation as me, go about this?

• Hi and welcome to the communities.

If you use the search facility this, or variations on it, are one of the most common questions. There is lots of helpful advice there.

Broadly it is about building experience anyway you can. Level 7 is really best done after securing employment and experience. But you are where you are.

Look for temporary roles, look for work experience , look for volunteering. Apply , apply and apply again. Good luck it can be done but isn’t easy.
  • I left uni with an MSC in HRM, having never worked in an office. In the job I had at the time (community mediator), I just did my best to tailor my CV to anything HR related. Communication skills, conflict resolution, Word, Excel, organisation skills..... ANYTHING connected to what might be expected of someone working in HR. And just apply, apply, apply. you will get your lucky break.