Actually developing a career within HR

Hello all.

This is my maiden post on this forum, and I'm looking for advice.

I have completed my CIPD Level 3 certificate, and in my previous roles had experience in people practice which led me to re-consider a career transition into HR full-time.

However, finding a role - even at entry level - has been a struggle for several reasons but I'm digressing.

Are there any organisations which provide volunteering opportunities to allow you to develop your skills and working practices whilst enhancing career options within the sector?

Thanks all, and I hope you have a great weekend.

Scott

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

29 May, 2022 06:15

Welcome to the Community, Scott.
  • Few commercial organizations offer volunteering opportunities in HR, because the work of HR is necessarily confidential and commercially sensitive. Even the most basic administrative work gives you access to personal details.

Furthermore, businesses are generally precluded from have volunteers do any "work of value", which limits the role of volunteers to observing.

However, there are some types of business that can make use better use of volunteers and which are more likely to be willing to take on volunteers in roles like HR. These are Community Benefit Societies and Community Interest Companies. Particularly when in their "start-up" phase, these organizations can benefit from having a professional to help them with baseline HR tasks like recruitment, onboarding, basic policies, H&S and payroll. I would advise looking for community interest start-ups in your community and offering your services.

They can be quite tricky to find, though, as their work is often niche or low profile, because they don't tend to have the funds to make a big splash. You might like to contact your local authority to see if they are aware of any, or check the local press.
  • Hi Scott
    I work for a hospice and we have several volunteers in our HR team. You could enquire with your local hospice and see where that leads?
    Good luck
    Anna
  • Hi Scott,

I am recruiting for a Human Resources Officer based in Cardiff. Applicants should should live within commuting distance or be willing to relocate.
    Let me know if you are interested and i will send you an application form.

Best of luck :)