I'm a good candidate for a HR apprenticeship?

Hi there

I would like your opinion regarding different routes into HR (specially into L&D)

I little bit about my background:

I’m from Spain, where I studied BS Human Resources. I worked in the field for 2 years always as a trainee or as an assistant. Mostly in admin and payroll but also in L&D.

I moved to the UK in 2013 where my English wasn’t good enough to be able to work in a HR position as we all know good communication skills are essential.

I decided to then go into teaching and I studied PGCE (Postgraduate certificate in education) in modern foreign languages. I’ve been working as a teacher the last 5 years and, even though I really like the job I’m ready for a new challenge.

My first thought was to enrol into a CIPD course and after that apply for jobs but after researching a lot it seems like this is not a good idea as I read some comments from people saying they found it difficult to complete some assignments as they weren’t working in an organization and also they are struggling to find a job without experience.

In that way, I think doing an apprenticeship could work better for me as I will obtain experience at the same time I’m studying towards my CIPD. I will also obtain a small salary (I can’t afford having an unpaid break in order to prepare for my CIPD)

Maybe I could gain a similar experience if I start applying for admin roles and working my way up but I think it will take more years.

Am I crazy for considering an apprenticeship taking into account I already have a BS HR and a PGCE? Do you think companies will be happy to have me as an apprentice or do they prefer an 18 year old? (I’m 32)

I would appreciate any thoughts/ recommendations.

Thank you!

• Sara welcome to the communities

I am not an expert on HR apprenticeships (or the routes into them) but I see no reason why you couldn't complete one - however as you rightly identify the challenge will be getting accepted onto a program in the first place given your age and relative experience. Many people will have an (incorrect) mental image of the age they expect an entry level apprentice to be (and its wrong that we in HR hold onto these stereotypes) and also may be put off by you previously having been a teacher.

But I would certainly go for it and give it a go. You have nothing to lose by trying but will need to structure your applications and approach carefully to overcome the inherent bias many of us have.