Taking the first step

Hi all, Just reaching out really for a point in the right direction. I’m currently studying level 3 and am keen to start level 5 immediately. I have 15 years experience with a major bank, mainly team leader / line manager roles so definitely a HR service user!! I really like the sound of apprenticeships but couldn’t afford a huge pay cut. Can anyone recommend where I can go to find out more about apprenticeships? I have heard it’s hard to get into HR without experience and I’m not sure my line manager roles will be enough? Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you HR family!! Jenny
  • HI Jenny and welcome to the community and also the profession.

Sadly it is a very tough profession to make your first steps into and many people struggle. There are a number of threads (using the search) where people have attempted to jump across from line management (often in retail type environments) to HR and whilst it has proved successful for some the two common features are (a) its far harder and took longer than they expected and (b) they tended to have to take a bigger drop in salary /status than they expected.

As you work for a big bank is there no opportunity to do a HR secondment or apprenticeship with them? Thats often the best way forward in my experience.

You are likely to find general HR apprenticeships at a relatively low pay level. General info on HR apprenticeships can be found on this site and vacancies can be found on most of the job boards. But the are mostly targeted at the very entry low salary roles. Higher level apprenticeships tend to be more internally focused.
  • Hi Keith,
    Thank you so much for the the advice.
    I do have a HRBP mentor internally so I’ll discuss on our next call.
    I’ll keep up to date with what’s happening internally and research more about external salary etc.
    Thanks again
    Jenny