Interview guidance

Hi everyone,

I have a second interview pending for a HR Manager role, I have had a break from HR, taking an extended maternity break, ive still practiced managing hr for a small company locally but it's been 1 day a week so I am definitely feeling the crisis of confidence. I have been asked to show what I can bring to enhance the company. The interview is with the MD, there is no HR manager in place, only an administrator, from my first experience it feels that the knowledge of HR by the senior team is very limited, its a old fashioned leisure company. 

How would everyone recommend preparing/presenting for this? I worked my way upto hr manager previously so I haven't had interview like this before.

thanks 

cher 

• Hi Cher

First of all congratulations on getting a second interview!!

I would think of any solid examples where you have contributed to your previous company e.g. aligning the strategic HR plan with the organisation, workforce planning etc. This will show your strengths and what you can bring to your new organisation.

Good luck!!!

Lisa
  • Two words: adding value.

To expand, a small business like this is likely to have a cautious and somewhat old-fashioned view of HR as being the box-ticking bureaucrats getting in the way of entrepreneurial, innovative and agile working*.

When they make the move to having organic HR in a leadership role, they will be won over by the person who can persuade them that their contribution will actively add more to the bottom line than their salary takes out. Reducing recruitment costs, improving sickness absence, introducing procedures to avoid costly and time-consuming legal wrangling (do some homework to see if they've ever been in an ET)...

*i.e. being able to fire people whenever they like without worrying about it.
  • In reply to Robey:

Thanks for this that's insightful, and gives me food for thought, as I implemented a hr function twice, the main role for a 500 headcount call centre, so my experience in reducing recruitment costs and improving absence etc is vast. From my first interview they seem to be a very people focused company, low turnover, their highest turnover is people starting apprenticeships but not always continuing so this was a focus for them they are keen to deliver the vision, but I got the impression they do not know what this is, the sales director didn't know what the mission or values was.