HR Graduate schemes

Dear all

ive been working as a HR for a year , and I had graduated in 2015 not in HR, currently I’m looking for jobs in HR, would you recommend graduate schemes or graduate jobs? It’s a long process to apply online and harder chance to get in my option. 

Please share your opinion

many thanks in advance 

Paula 

• There are far rarer now than they used to be but if you can get on a good one then go for it. Its likely to stand you in great stead.

Your challenge will partly be why you are applying now and not 4 years ago and what value you have added in those four years.

Getting a good job in HR will be very hard work - you will need to put a lot of effort in.
  • In reply to Keith:

Dear Keith, many thanks. I think the difficult bit would be the application itself as i believe the system is automatically eliminating non-gradautes most of the time? I am willing to put in hard work.
  • As Keith says they are rarer now, students did use to have set up placements for graduating whilst studying in Year 2, but there has been a shift in focus, for example, an HR student doing a BSc may take a gap year and take a placement with a big employer, then take a second placement before taking their Masters qualification or even undertake it part-time whilst working..

I've seen this done several times in recent years with the students at a certain university being employed on placement as HR Business Partners with a major blue-chip employer for a year. If it takes longer to get qualified at MA/MSc then it doesn't matter as the placements will be setting the student up with their career.
  • In reply to Paul:

Wow. That’s good planning. hrbp at university already. I guess it’s too late for me now.