HR Generalist or Learning and Development

Dear Forum fellows

I am in my mid-40s (I did not think that mattered until now) and part-way through a L5 HR Management qualification. I have a degree and masters (social sciences) and a wealth of experience in leadership and management roles within education, especially in the area of safeguarding. At the end of August I was made redundant and used some of the money to embark on the L5 course, enjoying so much the processes, procedures and compliance element of my previous roles as well as some experience I had working alongside an HR team on projects. I naively thought that I'd be able to jump into a HR admin type role as I am also a skilled administrator, having worked for 7 years as an administrator at a university. Alas, how I was wrong. I cannot get an interview for any kind of HR admin role. I secured an interview and second stage for a L&D role, but it was part time and I withdrew. I am now a freelance course content writer (safeguarding) and work in an admin role in a huge company (and will use this position to network  as much as I professionally can). I am desperate to move into an HR or L&D career. Your advice:

How do I do this?

How do I get past the CV stage with recruitment agencies? (I feel that they are all looking for 20-somethings, who they can shape and mold, and look past my wealth of experience, people skills, CPD commitment, etc

Is it too late for me?

I look forward to your advice.

Thanks

Dee

• In reply to Dee:

Hi Dee,

Being in somewhat of a similar situation myself I was wondering how you got on after this thread? I would be interested in to hear. Thanks! Sam
  • I too am an older person and at least on 2 occasions I have followed the outgoing hr advisor who is young enough to be my daughter! I am sure that they are surprised, but I have alot of experience in hr and especially ER, but I am too now networking with others directly. I feel some employers are worried that I will probably stand my ground as well.
  • Hi Dee

I posted on this forum some months ago and shared your frustration. Subsequent to this - and after several more failed attempts - I have secured a role as an L & D Practitioner in the NHS. It is a fixed term contract but has given me a leg-up and hopefully the experience I need for my next role.

I think my voluntary work as well as paid roles contributed to my securing this role as I was able to demonstrate that I had the experience and skills they needed, albeit acquired via non-traditional methods.

Of course, this is no guarantee that I will be able to transition straight away into another, similar job when this one ends!

How is your search going? Have you managed to find something yet?

Regards,

Rubina.