Promotions, up or out policies and possible succession plan blockages

Although not a matter here at all of breach of contract, but more akin to sticking to the contract, how do most organisations generally view and / or take it (if it's really an issue at all) if a long standing, good and high performing employee wishes to do a good job, stay put and essentially perform the same level role, not act up, not take on any more or additional responsibilities and simply not apply for any internal roles that may become available?       

Are there unofficial expectations that with over time and experience, most people should move up or on, and what is the general view if someone is going against the grain so to speak by choosing to firmly 'stay put' yet all the other employees are not?

It's not of course a capability or a performance management issue as they are performing well and meeting the requirements of their current role within the overall context of their contract of employment and job description, but basically just wish to do the same job.  

• I don't think it is going against the grain. Organisations need good solid employees happy to do their jobs. Not everyone is looking for the next big thing.

If someone is performing and happy to stay at their current role then IMO most organisations wont have an issue with that at all.
  • In reply to Keith:

Agree with Keith. Not everyone is driven by ambition and career progression. Some people are happy to spend their lives doing the same job - often finding the upper parts of Maslow's hierarchy of needs in activities outside of the workplace. this is neither good not bad, just a description of how people are. Intelligent companies and managers understand this and accommodate it in their organisation and succession approaches.
  • Agree I think companies need some 'plateau'd' employees, as long as they do their job well and there are no issues I cannot fathom why a company would consider this a negative in any way shape or form.

I expect a lot of older workers/mum's returning to the workplace would be happy with this arrangement - food for thought?
  • In reply to Samantha:

And you learn something new every day - I never knew there as such as thing as an "up or out" policy. Bit of an eye opener.
  • In reply to Samantha:

Hi Sam - the "up or out" is very much a US thing.
    You recruit talented people at the lower end of the pay-scale making it clear that the company wants them to "move on up" pretty quickly by giving additional responsibilities fairly soon.
    When promotion comes along they are, naturally, at the lower end of the next point in the pay-scale....
    If people don't demonstrate the ability to move on up to the next level they are then "thanked" and sent on their way - remember, employment can be terminated "at will" in the US with little or no penalties for the employer. The person is then replaced by someone at the lower end of the pay-scale (either direct recruit or new promotion).
    Works fine where lead-time from arrival/promotion to fully efficient is short.
    Not necessarily the type of environment I would want to work in, but as they say "whatever floats your boat".