What next for me?

Hi all,

I am a bit stuck what to do next.

I have around 6 years experience in HR and recruitment (placement services), having worked my way up to a BP role that I've been doing for about 9 months.

However, I feel very lost and stuck. My company doesn't value the HR function, see us as very administrative, and has no more room for progression for me past my current role. I also travel a lot with my role which is becoming untenable with my health as i'm constantly "on the go".

I feel like I've totally fallen out of love with HR as it all seems to be on such a downer, the minutiae of ER, process and trying to revive plummeting morale. I keep doubting myself that I'd be any good or know enough to be in a BP role in another company.

I just don't know where to turn next. Is it time for a career change already, a move into more of a customer-facing Office Manager role or even a standalone role?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly received.

Thanks,

B

• It may well be that your company doesn't see the value in HR because of the way the department works at the moment. As you describe their view - administrative. You may never change that. You have two choices in my view. Change the way you work, or do as you also suggest - move to another company. As you also say - the travel doesn't really agree with you anyway.
  • I agree with David - you will find that the role of an HRBP differs massively from organisation to organisation. For example, in my current role as an HRBP, we have a separate team working on HR Admin and ER casework which leaves the HRBP role to work closely with leaders on strategic projects.

Perhaps have a think about what you want from your next role and make sure you ask the right questions at interview stage.