transition from outsourcing to in house HR role after 5 years

Hi Everyone,

I attained my MA in Human Resource Management/fully CIPD qualified, in 2009.  Since then I have had a few of HR Admin roles. My current role I have been in for 5 years.  

Now I am looking for change and especially for career progression to a HR adviser, but I don’t have experience in policy and employment law.  There is no room for progression with my current company.  It is a HR/payroll outsourcing company.  The HR admin side of things is outsourced to us, but policy/employment law s in house and inaccessible to me.  Also the role itself is highly reactive, processing, system based and operational. 

An agency suggested I get another HR Assistant type of role in a ‘normal’ in house HR department that offers progression and opportunities to sit with HR Advisers.  Last few months I’ve only had a few interviews, who have said no due to lack of experience. 

I am female, mid 30s and live near Birmingham, no personal commitments at the moment.  Unsure if these factors have a negative impact as I feel there is still a slight gender and age discrimination? After staying in the same role 5 years, Is this viewed negatively and have I left it late to progress?

My CV is the best it can be.  I’ve had my CV and Linked in professionally written, and I’ve pulled out as much HR related experiences and skills that can, but feel that it’s not enough compared to other people in my situation.

Any advice you can offer me to improve my situation will be very much appreciated?

many thanks

• Hi Rupy

I don’t think you’ve left it too late but you do need to make a move soon. It sounds as if you are doing all the right things and just need to keep going. If you search on here you will find some other threads where people have been looking to make the jump from Assistant to Advisor. One suggestion that comes up quite a bit is networking via your local CIPD branch. Have you tried that?