Next career step - advice please

Life circumstances brought it this way that I am relocating to the metropolis. I am still in the early days of my HR career and my aim is to seize this opportunity to take my next step up the career ladder. I am currently working as HR Coordinator, coordinating the overall HR function of a medium size third sector organisation. My responsibilities cover the full spectrum of HR (recruitment, on/off-boarding, induction, benefits management, absence management, policies&procedures, HR advice, Staff surveys etc). I am often involved and advised on strategic planning, which is done by the SMT, and ER cases - for ER we are working with an external consultancy but I still get people referring to me for simple cases. The downside is that as I am alone in the department my day to day life is drowning in administration which demotivates me and makes me lose confidence from thinking that I am ready for a next step. 

Just a week ago I started applying to advertised vacancies for HR Advisor roles, as I believe that my skills and experience meet the requirements of many advertised Advisor roles, but I have not heard anything back form the agencies and companies I have applied to. I know that it may be quite early but I am a bit impatient and worried. Not having received any response makes me feel that I am doing something wrong and if so, I have to fix this the soonest possible.

I would appreciate any kind of advice from anyone. Do you believe that and HR Advisor role is the right role for me based on my current position and responsibilities? Is there anyone that could have a look at my CV and give me some feedback? I know that in London the market is much more competitive that in the small city where I currently live in and I am not sure if I am well prepared to face the challenges. Any ideas or suggestions on how to "sell" my skills and secure interviews are welcome!

• Hi Eirini,

If you'd like to send me your CV to ginnie@jobsearchwarrior.co.uk, I can cast an eye over it. Happy to help in any way I can.

Ginnie
  • It sounds like your experience would be a good match to any HR Advisor role, Eirini (welcome to the forum!).

I would encourage you to think like the recruiter. They will have certain key criteria they are looking for in any candidate. Typically, in an HR Advisor, this will be employee relations/grievance/disciplinary handling, recruitment, induction, and policy, but may also include payroll. Make sure you tick off as many of these key points as clearly as possible, as early as possible in your CV.

They will also be looking for key qualifications: most likely a Level 3+ CIPD qualification and a minimum of Associate level membership, so tick these off quickly, too.

Third-sector HR practice can be quite different to the cut-and-thrust of the private sector, so be sure to emphasize your commercial focus, cost savings and key achievements (reducing turnover or sickness absence). Take personal credit for as much as you can get away with. Focus on "I did..." and less on "we did...".
  • In reply to Robey:

Thank you very much Robey! Thank you for the useful tips. I will definitely reconsider some bits of how I present myself in my applications.
  • My advice would be to persevere. When I felt ready to step up it took a few months of applying / interviews before becoming a HR Advisor. Once you are in the position it will be worth it, but be prepared that it may take longer than you want (I was like you and wanted it as soon as I felt ready).

I took a 12 month contract position, depending on your circumstances I would consider temporary contracts as it is a step on the ladder and less likely to be against as many experienced HR Advisors who may not leave a permanent post - I saw it as a calculated risk to progress.