Being managed poorly

Hi all, 

I have been in my current role for 6 months, I worked in HR for 2 years prior to this. I am Level 3 qualified and currently studying Level 5. 

At interview I explained my goal was to become a HR Manager once I had completed Level 5. I was offered a 'Senior' HR Role however I was then given the title 'HR Coordinator'. - although this is not the important.

On my first day I was told the HR Manager was leaving, which left me with a HR/Fleet assistant (70% Fleet 30% HR) and a new role/company to learn. We employ 250 staff and I report directly to the MD. 

During my first 6 months I had no performance reviews and I had taken on a few projects with recruitment and performance management. I felt I had managed the HR department well (we've had multiple employee issues within this time). I had my probation meeting on 14/11 and was told he expected more from me and that I need to act more senior and the project took me too long. He did say I've settled in well and have potential. He didn't say in this meeting whether I have passed my probation or not and hasn't followed up with documentation as of yet. 

I have emailed him a few times since this meeting with some work for him to approve but have no had a reply as of yet. I can't help but feel he has something against me and on top of this I suffer with anxiety and infertility (I'm on fertility drugs) although he is not aware of this and I don't intend on telling him. 

I don't like the way I am being managed but I do like the company and the duties involved in my role. I would appreciate any advice as I don't know whether to stick it out or look for something else! 

Thanks 

• Hi there Jamie Lee

I admire your determination and think that doing your Level 5 will be beneficial for you in terms of your aspirations. In terms of your desire to be a HR Manager after 2 years experience in HR and currently at a level 3 standard, I am not sure whether this is reflective of the skills and experience that would generally be required in this role however, I concede that I don't know enough about your experience prior to your work in HR or how that title in your particular organisation reflects the duties and responsibilities expected in that role. Even to be honest, a Senior HR Role may be perceived as a stretch with the HR experience you detail here but as previously stated, I don't know about your other potential work related experience so I cant comment.

What I will say is that you have been given the opportunity to take on what sounds like a significant 'step up' in terms of the HR Manager role can only be good for your future career aspirations. My advice to you would be to stick with it and try and get as much exposure as you can. Not only do employers want qualifications, many trump the theory for more practical experience but this varies dependent on organisation, sector, industry, role etc.

Regarding the feedback you received from your MD, I would follow this up, perhaps diarise a meeting if you can but you definitely need more definitive feedback on what you discussed. So for example, in what way does he want you to act more 'senior'?

Only you can decide if or what you are willing to tolerate but from what you outline here you are currently in a really good position in terms of the exposure you are receiving and this will be greatly beneficial to you if/when you decide to move forward with your career.
  • Hi Jamie - lee

Being dropped into the deep end is an excellent learning opportunity.

a). When you had/have your meetings with the md, do you ask for the feedback you want? Do you discuss what he wants and expects from you?
    b) Its easy to get bogged down with detail and the small day to day stuff of HR, but thats probably not want the md wants from you. So concentrate on the bigger picture - ask him what exactly what he wants you to do!!

c) Forget the probation bit. It has no importance in employment law.

Dave