Career change advice please

Hi all,

I have worked in generalist hr for many years but would like to move into L and D.  I do have experience of facilitating, coaching, training design and delivery etc but I am finding it hard to get interviews.  I have updated my cv to focus on my L and D experience, updated online profiles but I am not having much luck.

I would really appreciate your advice on anything else I can be doing.

Thanks

• Hi Tracey,

My background is L&D :-) its a wonderful world to move into. Must admit, now I'm in recruitment coaching (had to get something that involved less travel than L&D did for me) so in terms of your approach;

If you're using a traditional chronologic CV, I would say that it won't be focused enough on your L&D experience. I would suggest a functional CV in which you list the L&D skills you have with examples to quantify your experience in its own section, and then very brief descriptions of responsibilities/achievements within your career history section. I've tried to attach a template - will see if it works! 

Likewise, your personal summary statement has to explicitly state you want an L&D role now, as too many hiring managers can't see past old roles without being 'told to' (in blunt terms). 

The same goes with online profiles - you'll need to focus on your ability over your experience.

Hope this helps - good luck with your search

Kind regards, 

Laura