Civil Service Fast Stream

Hello everybody,

I am new to the CIPD community and would just like to introduce myself. My name is Jamie. I currently work in the Civil Service and am on the Civil Service Fast Stream. This is a graduate programme which allows somebody to reach the upper echelons of management at a quicker rate. I chose the HR fast stream as I enjoy helping others and competed the CIPD level 3 as part of my resettlement package when I left the Army. So far I have only been in my first placement for a few weeks, but I am being kept very busy in a brand new team that looks after the HR needs of all of the Senior Civil Servants in my department. During this programme I will also be completing the CIPD level 7 qualification, and so will be able to apply for a senior management role in HR within the Civil Service in 3 years.

So, if anyone has any questions about the Civil Service Fast Stream or the CIPD level 7 (after I begin), then I will be happy to answer them.

Thanks

Jamie

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Sep, 2017 16:40

Welcome, Jamie... and thanks for that offer of sharing your civil service fast track experience.

Tagging Robey.

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

It's been ten years, now, Steve. I think my credibility as the forum's unofficial ex-military spokesperson is getting a bit rusty.

However, welcome to Jamie. I hope you find the transition to civvie street an easy and comfortable experience - it sounds like all is going smoothly for you so far.
  • Hi Jamie,

Only yesterday found the Fast Stream, potentially looking into it for 12 months time, would be good to hear your experiences, pro's, con's etc.

Exploring my options after a selection board asked me "why, with your experience in developing people, are you not looking at becoming a Training officer?"

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Ross
  • In reply to Ross:

Hi Ross,

Sorry for the delayed response. The Fast Stream is a fantastic opportunity. Pro’s so far; autonomy, responsibility, and support. Everything I have done has had those in big supply. Con’s; there are so many points of contact it can get confusing, learning curve is immense and can be stressful at times. Overal, I am enjoying it and am so glad that I applied.

Good luck with your application next year.

Jamie
  • This is so inspiring did you go to the army straight after graduation?

Does that mean you can apply for graduate schemes anytime you want in the civil service??? As i am doing my masters in HRM but would like to work in the military for 5 years or so then join the civil service after. Is that possible doing the 3 year programme 6 years after my graduation?
  • In reply to Webster:

Hi Webster,

No I graduated whilst still in the Army. I decided that I needed a career change and chose HR based on some friends opinions (who were HR business partners) and the fact that the profession interested me.

Military service is not the same as Civil Service in the way that I am working now. But I have found that military service has given me many transferable skills that have helped me on the civil service fast stream.

It’s your choice on whatever path you take. I hope it works out for you too.

Jamie
  • In reply to Jamie:

Thank you so much for your response. However I do want to work in the civil service, but I would like to work in HR in the army whilst training to be a soldier. I'm assuming you was a soldier too. How long did you serve? As i am finishing my masters degree in human resource management I graduate next year 2019. I just want experience first and I was wondering did you have to move into the army or did they allow you to commute? As i got a nice flat I wouldn't want to to give up.......
  • In reply to Webster:

Hi Webster, I would strongly advise speaking with an Army recruiter. I was in the Army for 13 years and chose to switch career to the HR Profession. Whilst the Army does give you many benefits, in a work experience context, they do expect a lot of commitment in return.