Taking the next step in HR

Hello

I am currently working as a HR Support Officer and I have Level's 3 and 5 CIPD qualifications. I started working in HR as a volunteer in 2016 then I worked as HR for 1 year and a half before getting my current role. 

I am now looking to take the next step into an HR Advisor role but a bit stuck on how to do this as most roles I've found want ER experience which I haven't had the chance to do at my current organisation.

Can anyone recommend what they would look for if they were hiring for an Advisor, aside from the CIPD qualifications? I have a training allowance at my organisation that I can put towards development but wasn't sure what to use it for. Some colleagues have said to do a CIPD ER based course and others have said getting some more soft skills such as counselling, NLP, communications training etc. 

Any help and advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks

• Hi Amy, if a lack of ER experience is what is holding you back then I don’t think NLP training is the solution. You could contact a local charity or voluntary group and offer to help them - this might widen your experience.