Recruiter or HR Admin?

Hi,

I need some career advice as I reached at a crossroad and not sure which choice to make.

I am currently working as a sourcer and screener in the recruitment team at my company, so mainly not a full recruiter position as there are recruiters whom I source and screen for in the team. I am currently doing my CIPD level 5 HRM and would like to be a HR Manager as objective in the next few years or similar.

I am doing this job for 3 months only, but I was offered also the chance of moving in the team as an HR Admin should I want to.

I am just wondering what career paths are there and which one to take, I am confused if I stay in the recruitment team there will be not much progression after having the full recruiter role (after a while). I am thinking that the HR admin would open more opportunities and different HR positions, and maybe a wider knowledge than just doing recruitment?

Can anyone help me with some clarification?

Thank you.

• Hi Diana

Welcome to the communities.

My thoughts - I think you are right that a HR Admin role would open even more opportunities if the path you want to follow is to eventually become a HR Manager and if your role in recruitment is coming to an end then at least this is an option for you. I also think that you will find that the experience you have gained as a sourcer and screener will become invaluable - many organisations combine HR with Recruitment so the fact that you have experience in this area will no doubt be an asset to you too.

Being a HR Administrator and doing the CIPD level 5 can be a good springboard to which you can progress from in your quest to eventually becoming a HR Manager but I would just caution that you should get as much exposure as you can in industry and not rely on the qualification alone to propel you to this level because unless the scope of the HR Administrator role is broader than normal ie encompassing many mid level duties and responsibilities, it is unlikely to.

You will be studying areas such as Redundancy, Employment Law, TUPE and Reward Management to name but a few in the Level 5. Where possible get involved in supporting these areas in your workplace. Ask to take notes in Disciplinary meetings, monitor absence basically anything that gives you wider exposure to all aspects of HR.

Hope this helps
  • In reply to Cass Clothier:

Hi Diana

I agree with Cass that this could be a good springboard for you, with the provisos she mentions. Unless something even better comes up, I would grab this chance and make the most of it!

• In reply to Cass Clothier:

Hi,

Thank you for the info, we are offered even the opportunity to do cross training in other entry level roles just for us to be ready to jump in if it's busy, so I will use that in my CV as well. My source&screen role is not going to an end, I can chose either one or the other one...just wanted to make sure the HR Admin will offer more perspectives in my career than recruitment on its own will.
  • Hi

I personally feel you should move in to the role as the exposure you may get will or could help you in the future
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

24 Apr, 2018 12:33

Welcome to the Community, Diana.

I also agree with Cass and friends. As you move 'up' your experience in a recruitment team will come in handy.