Advice on getting the first role in HR

Hello,

I'm currently actively looking for my first HR role. I've completed Level 3 CIPD and I'm currently studying Level 5 Employment Law.

Although I am getting interviews for roles and demonstrate how keen I am to break into HR, the feedback is consistently that other candidates have the relevant HR experience.

I've worked in admin/PA roles for over 14 years and highlight the transferable skills, along with the areas of HR I have had involvement in.

I'm considering leaving my current role to pursue temporary and/or volunteer roles within HR to broaden my experience.  I personally feel it is time to leave as I have progressed as far as I can within my role, not least due to my goal to break into HR.

My question is, would this be a good move to make? I feel this may give me the opportunity to work within different types of organisations, whilst hopefully gaining some more skills and experience to add to my CV.

Any advice would be much appreciated and welcomed.

Many thanks.

• Personally I wouldn't give up the day job. I think it still holds true that its easier to get a job if you are in a job. And whilst job searching can be akin to a full time opportunity it can also take a long time to break into HR so you might find it a long time without a wage.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith