Next Steps

Hi all,

I'm a HR Administrator and have been for 3 and half years in a very busy and highly secure environment. I have been very lucky as my manager allows me to be involved in the least complex ER activities as well as my duties for one site that I look after. Even though my role title is a HR Administrator, I would say my experience is that of a HR Officer as my role is generalist. I have asked if my role title could be changed but unfortunately my organisation can not do this.  I work with another HR Administrator and HR advisor and look after 300 employees. I have recently completed the CIPD Level 5 Diploma in Human Resource Management.

Is it time to move on?  or should I stay and complete my CIPD Level 7 in HRM then make the move.

There is no chance of a promotion as the team is so small.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi Emiah

No harm in casting your net out there to see if you can generate interest in your CV at this stage but I wouldnt leave your existing job to do it. If you can demonstrate broad experience and capability it is possible that you would be able to progress with another employer as I believe that experience trumps qualifications for a lot of employers however, for you, going to mid level HR roles, if you are paying for the level 7 qualification yourself, this may appeal even more.

However if it is your employer offering to pay for you to do level 7 I would say stay. You will need to have access to strategic stuff and as it sounds like your employers already champion you in terms of enabling you to take on higher level work then this will of course be extremely beneficial to your learning.

With the HR qualifications, maybe in the past, alone these were enough but increasingly I have found, employers expectations are more than this and in addition to the theoretical knowledge, they expect practical experience too.

Thats my take on it but best of luck whatever you decided to do.