Advice please

Good morning,

I have recently passed my MA in Strategic HR and after 5 years of working in my role, I decided to resign from my post to try and obtain an alternative role that offers both operational and strategic HR.

I am now wondering if this was a big mistake!  I am really struggling to find employment and could do with some advice/recommendations from HR professionals.

Many thanks

David

• Hi David, sorry you are struggling to find a suitable role.

it is quite unusual for someone to leave one role, before they have found another and this may be making employers a little wary. Is there a particular reason why you left you previous role first?

Are you struggling to get interviews or are you able to get to the interview stage.? If you are able to let us know what sort of feedback you are getting, it may help us to give you a few pointers.
  • It is likely that you are competing for roles with people who have practical experience of strategic HR and therefore if you lack this, you may be struggling. Do you have areas of experience you can highlight in your applications? It is quite common on these pages that people have the theoretical experience but without the practical side they have limited success. I would certainly be looking much more closely at what someone had done at work rather than what they had studied. Try to highlight what differentiates you and, even if you weren't working at a strategic level, what influencing skills you had or what decision making was within your hands. Yes, and explain why you left your role, as that may be a question a recruiter has!
  • In reply to Teresa:

Many thanks Teresa. There was nothing dodgy in terms of my decision, I suppose I was getting abit stale in my role and after studying for me MA thought that I could transfer my knowledge/skills into a bigger organisation (as I work for a SME type organisation). I am just now starting to regret my decision! I am getting interviews but it is the waiting that I am finding hard to cope with at the moment!
  • In reply to Annabel:

Many thanks Annabel. I keep on tweaking my CV and I think I have both operational/strategic and an academic background. I was just getting abit stale in my current role and thought I would take a risk and submit my notice! I am now starting to think if my decision was rash/stupid as I can't find a role that is suitable at the moment!

Thanks for your help and response

David