Administrator to ......which level?

Hi

I currently work as a HR Administrator and have been in the role for 2 years and have completed my Level 3 CIPD qualification in June. I feel I am ready for the next stage but when looking at jobs which I believe are the next level, assistant, coordinator, adviser, I seem to be lacking in experience of advising line managers.

There isn't much exposure in my current role to get this experience but I can't seem to get any interviews because of the lack of knowledge. The old swings and roundabouts! :) 

I feel I need something more challenging but with lots of learning at the same time, is there a job out there for an in between level?

I am starting my level 5 CIPD qualification in September and am hoping this will give me some more knowledge.

One last thing if anyone can give me some tips on a great supporting statement I'd appreciate it, lately I feel this is what has been letting me down.

Thank you

Ruth

• Hi Ruth
    I would start by trying to get more experience to things where you currently are. Ask to sit in meetings and take notes. Volunteer to be involved with projects so that you can see in situ how things run, basically do anything you can to get exposure to work at the next level.

From experience, moving up is not easy and although the CIPD qualification is a green light to many employers, when matched against someone who also has hands on experience, this generally trumps those with just the qualification alone.

Making the transition can be tough and I really think that there is often an even higher expectation now to be able to demonstrate more experience than the qualification or even the job alone demands!

I am sure others on here will have great advice – Meanwhile good luck to you Ruth