Availability of Part-time HR Manager roles in London

Dear All,

RE:  Part-time HR manager roles in London.

I wonder if anybody has been through similar scenarios, and if so, how on earth did you manage to resolve it?

I am a seasoned HR professional with experience of working as part of a global HR team at a large multinational bank in the City, this was followed by significant experience of working in a stand-alone HR manager role at a niche Central London-based asset management boutique where I sat and professionalise their HR function from zero.  I am a Chartered Member of the CIPD, have an MSc in HR Development and Consultancy and I am currently doing a PhD in Organisational Psychology.  I am now looking for a part-time (2-3 days/week) role in HR (really....I would consider any role from: HR advisor through to HR manager/HRBP).  I am not afraid of rolling up my sleeves and putting together paper files and dealing with excel spreadsheets rather than custom-made databases, etc..  Quite happy to deal with transactional/operational work as well as advising senior management.  The challenge is that this type of part-time work appears to be like trying to find a needle in a haystack!  So much for HR coaching and preaching to the business on the wonders of working flexibly!

In addition to the above, recruitment agencies, their consultants, and their wall of silence do not make the process of part-time HR job searching very easy to navigate.  I have dealt with recruitment consultants both from an employer's perspective in which they are only too happy to phone you several times a day and meet up with you at the drop of a hat, and also as a candidate.  The latter scenario is a very different narrative to the former.  As a candidate, recruitment consultants are quite happy to phone you at the last minute to attend an interview at short notice, but then they completely ignore you, do not return your calls, not even meet with you prior to sending you for interviews with one of their clients...My question is: What is this behaviour all about?  At a very basic level, 'acknowledgement' is something that is at the core of our very own identity as human beings (i.e.: who we are).  These walls of silence are not only disrespectful but a serious professional concern that should also worry future employers.  Do they want to be represented by these people?  Do these consultants forget that at a certain point in their lives the shoe may move to the other foot?  If so, I wonder how would they feel about being treated like they treat job applicants? 

I would wholeheartedly appreciate to hear from colleagues that have experienced similar situations (seeking for part-time work in HR in London, dealing with non-responsive recruitment consultants) that have successfully emerged from them.  Also, does anybody know if recruitment consultants are regulated in any way?  If they aren't, they should be!  

Thank you in advance.

Yours sincerely,

Paula

• In reply to Anna:

The topic of part-time and flexible roles in HR is one that's been raised intermittently over many years both in this community and in the CIPD LI group.

I wrote to Peter Cheese almost two years ago asking for more CIPD support for members looking for flexible roles and have tried to get a SIG around flexible working set up in my local branch - with very little response from the powers that be!

As others are saying - the current situation is a shocking waste of talent - particularly when I keep hearing there's a shortage of good people for senior HR roles.
  • In reply to Cass Clothier:

I second what Cass says above.
    Public sector is a good place to work for part time roles.
    I work in a large FE College as part of a team of 5 and both our HR Officer and Head of HR are part time.
    Basic pay isn't as high as other industries but the flexible working/annual leave/actually only working 9-5 does make up for it.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

21 Jun, 2017 16:48

In reply to Anna:

Hi Anna... This really ought to be part of the 'Future of Work' conversation. All part of the transition to better work. I'll have another word with people here.
  • In reply to Ishbel:

Hello Ishbel and all,

Thank you for this. I did think about it, I already volunteer at my uni's 'careers clinic' for graduate students and alumni (helping them with their CV preparation, interview skills, etc.). I also did some work as a sessional part -time tutor for a couple of years, tutoring in their CIPD accredited MSc in HRM courses. However, to be perfectly brutal, I worked long hours (vs contracted hours) and could neither cover my mortgage payments nor strike a balance in terms of output with my PhD studies.

On a different note, the type of private-sector employers that universities tend to deal with to place their graduates would generally advertise/recruit candidates for permanent full-time employment. Somehow, I get a sense that there is this perception amongst employers and employees (I dare say...) that 'part-time' employment is not 'real' work...is not taken 'seriously'.

As Keith highlighted previously, some larger employers may consider current (internal) full-time employees' applications for part-time employment. As others have already highlighted here, there is no certainty that these applications would be successful. It very much depends on the organisation's culture, and also the role the applicant is performing. I do tend to agree with Keith though, candidates may have a better chance to apply for this switch in status where they are known to the organisation, and they have worked there for a while.

Of course, this does not help with mobility for those already working on a part-time basis looking to change organisations, nor those external applicants like myself. I will, in the meantime, look at the NHS and also some charities for part-time HR advisor/manager/BP opportunities.

Thank you all for your input and your thoughts. Very much appreciated.

Paula
  • In reply to Anna:

Dear Anna,

Many thanks for your response and your insight. Yes, I would agree that forming a SIG for part-time HR practitioners would be an excellent idea. As you say, it is such a shocking waste of talent....

Speaking on a personal note, I do not tend to agree with recruiters or hiring managers that say that there is a shortage of 'talent' out there. In my experience, there is more of a shortage of 'know how' to recruit than anything else. Transferable skills/experience...does anybody understand how that works? Is anybody interested? At the moment, it would appear that there are far too many candidates per position advertised so very few people really care. They are are 'placing' people that 'tick' boxes, not necessarily the 'right' or the 'best' candidates for the organisation(s) in question. In the recent past, I have been sent to interviews with clients at the last minute without even having met the agency recruiter(s)...I am not having a 'go' at agency recruiters! I now understand that they have targets imposed on them otherwise they'll lose their jobs. So, they are in sales jobs. But indeed, I agree with you that this is a shocking waste of talent and experience.

Peter Cheese is unlikely to be interested in part-time or flexible work arrangements for the HR community. HR is till grappling with much more basic challenges such as: Is HR a 'profession' on equal footing as accountancy or law? but perhaps a SIG/Support Group for part-time/flexible workers in HR could be formed at CIPD Central London branch-level if we could possibly have someone to sponsor us with their interest?

Have a good evening, and thank you again.

Paula
  • In reply to Andie:

Thank you Andie! I have placed an ad in 'Nappy Valley' (equivalent of 'Mumsnet') offering HR generalist/advisor/manager/BP services on a part-time basis. I had a couple of preliminary enquiries, so we'll see. Thank you for suggesting this.

Yes, I have dealt with 'Capability Jane' previously. As a business - I understand that they were sold to another company a while ago and they delayered their ranks. Last time that I needed to speak to one of their consultants regarding an advertised position, I phoned them but they've told me that nobody could speak to me on the phone. They explained to me that the process was that - whether I had questions or not about a role - I had to apply for it, and then wait to be contacted (or not)...

Thank you so much though. I very much appreciate your response and suggestions.

Kind regards

Paula
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thank you Steve! that would be really helpful. If only we could get 'sponsorship' in the form of interest at CIPD Central London Branch and be able to form a part-time/flexible working HR SIG/Support Group...that may be the beginning of something positive...

Please do let me know if there is anything I can do.

Kind regards

Paula
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

27 Jun, 2017 14:58

In reply to Paula Fitzgerald:

Update: we have people looking into this now, Paula Fitzgerald, Anna.
  • In reply to Paula Fitzgerald:

In my opinion the best service in this area for HR candidates is currently coming from Oakleaf (other recruitment agencies are available). They have a dedicated part-time desk run by two lovely ladies - Jane and Harriet - who operate a job-share.

When I spoke with Jane earlier this year she told me her next step was to monitor the CVs of her candidates to see whether there was any potential for job-share for full-time roles and then to work with her colleagues on the full-time desks to try and make this happen. So being really pro-active in this space.

Of course Oakleaf don't have a monopoly on part-time HR roles so it's best to keep your options open.
  • In reply to Anna:

And of course I forgot to say that if anyone is looking for a job-share partner you can always start a thread on this Community board with a title such as "Seeking job-share partner - London area". That way you may be able to set up your own job-share before approaching an agency/employer for an advertised vacancy.
  • In reply to Anna:

Mmm...thank you Anna. This is really interesting.

My most recent experience with 'Oakleaf' is that you send your CV and then (so far) I received an email thanking me for the CV submission but explained that their client had already identified candidates that they wanted to see. This is absolutely fair enough, but why do they continue to advertise the position as 'active' then? Mmm... Alternatively, CV submission... but no response at all. They do now have a disclaimer though saying that applicants that do not hear anything within 48 hours of CV submission have not been successful on this occasion and should continue to keep and eye and apply for alternative roles that may be of interest/suitable to them in their website...

I continue to keep my options open and, where possible, I try to apply where direct employers advertise...

Thank you Anna, very much appreciated.

Paula x
  • In reply to Anna:

Dear Anna,

That is a brilliant idea! Thank you for that. The only point is that I am not entirely sure that we can start a threat on this Community on those basis. Perhaps Steve Bridger can advise? Thank you again.

Thank you both.

Kind regards

Paula x
  • In reply to Helen Louise Bird:

Thank you Helen, I am in agreement with you and I am grateful for your input and empathy.

Yours sincerely,

Paula
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

29 Jun, 2017 12:18

In reply to Paula Fitzgerald:

Hmm... interesting question. This forum vs the LinkedIn group? I'm not going to frown on anyone who posts something like that here. It's people advertising jobs we frown on.