Returning to HR role after 6 years out?

Hi

I left employment voluntarily 6 years ago to be a stay at home mum. During this time I completely left work and have not kept updated. I am now ready to return to work but don’t know how to fill my knowledge gap. Are there any refresher courses you would recommend? I was previously HR Manager/Head of Department level so have some good skills and experience specifically in HR strategy and employee relations

Thank you for you help and advice

• Hi Joanne,

I have just done a search and found your post from April. I am in a similar situation to you and was wondering whether you have now found employment and whether you have any useful tips for me? I have been out of the Industry for 7 years now due to having children etc and am hoping to return, but could do with some tips! Any advice you are willing to share would be much appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    Lucy
  • I would maybe look out for a specific "returner" programme with HR roles. The Civil Service and many large professional services companies offer them and would be able to help you build up your confidence and skills again in a supportive environment, whilst still stretching and challenging you and recognising the past experience you bring. This won't suit everyone, but if you have previous corporate or public sector experience I think they can be a great option.
  • Hi Joanne and Lucy, don't know how I missed these posts so here is a belated suggestion. I would check out this very website as the membership section has resources for those who are returning to HR, link as follows:
    www.cipd.co.uk/.../benefits
    Good luck, hope all goes well.
  • Hi again ladies, had a clear out today and came across something printed in PM magazine a while back about returning to work services through the CIPD. Not sure if this is still current and not sure if either of you qualify but this link should provide more details which may help:
    www.cipd.co.uk/.../financial-assistance
  • Hello,

Your previous experience in HR will still be very valuable. You could try the following podcasts. These will enable you to get back up to speed swiftly and, stay abreast of HR research, employment law and policy going forward.

CIPD Podcast or That HR Podcast by People Management.
    Mayer Brown UK Employment Law (6 years of excellent case law summaries)
    XpertHR
    Squiggly Careers by Amazing If, helpful personal development tips (daily Instagram posts and weekly podcast).
    Step Up Club (run by Alice and Phanella), (book, website, school and appearances on many podcasts), helpful career support including working mums and returners.

The CIPD recently reported, that an estimated 90,000 people take a career break every year and for allsorts of reasons. Hope this helps. Sending you an HR high-five and best wishes!
  • In reply to Janine:

Thank you Janine that’s really helpful.
    I’ve joined a HR network and been in some employment law updates through ACAS which have been good too
  • In reply to Lucy:

Hi Lucy
    I’ve joined a local HR network who have all been in the same position and are workin freelance.
    I also attended an ACAS employment law update which was really useful. They have some good courses and aren’t too expensive.
    I’ve also joined the women returners mailing list
    I have just had my first interview today!
    Good luck with everything
    Jo
  • In reply to Joanne:

Happy listening!
    ACAS, CIPD and XpertHR Twitter feeds will also bring you back up to speed in no time!