HR or L&D?

Hello everyone, 

I have recently graduated with a BA Hons in Education in the UK. I did have the intention of being a teacher. However, after a lot of soul searching and research into the current educational climate, I have decided against this. Instead I want to transfer my work experience and skills into working in HR/L&D and want to become CIPD qualified.

I graduated as a mature student, and I do have a vast amount of work experience working in finance and administration roles. I In previous roles in which I have worked, I have been on the receiving end of poor HR personnel and uninspiring trainers in the workplace. I have noticed HR/Recruitment and L&D being closely interconnected. I can see how my degree in Education is complementary to working in L&D. But HR also interests me too. 

My question is this..

In order to work in both roles (at different points in the future) would I need to study towards both qualifications ? Or would being HR CIPD qualified and holding a degree in education be sufficient for moving into the L&D sector in the future? 

I hope this makes sense :) 

• In my view there aren't two different fields here (despite what some L&D practitioners maintain) but L&D is a vital and integral part of the HR community like reward, ER, engagement etc. So for a longer term career I would go for the HR qualification.

Your key challenge will not be the qualification however but getting work experience. Good luck