HR analyst roles - advice on how to go down this route

I am currently in a HR admin role but would like to progress down the HR analyst route. I have HR qualifications (PgDip and MSc) but do not know SQL or other more advanced data analysis skills that BI roles require.

Do any HR analysts have any advice/tips for progressing my career in this direction.

Thank you!

• I would say start getting involved in the work with your HR system. Who looks after the HR/payroll system and management information reporting in your current work place? Could you shadow them, or volunteer to take on some of their admin tasks to help them out and learn? A lot of companies look for HR Analysts at the stage of implementing a new HR system (which everyone seems to be doing at the moment), so it's quite a buoyant market to be in.

Something to bear in mind though, is once you have gone down this path you would need to be prepared to stick to it long-term, because it would be very difficult to get back into generalist HR once you're in the analytics.
  • In reply to Maria:

Thanks Maria. This is really helpful and I will definitely look into shadowing one of the HR information team.