Interviews: what to ask... and how not to act. Discuss...

Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

6 Apr, 2018 11:27

It's Friday... so two articles I read this week which I thought I'd share. While I've picked out the bullet points, you will find the 'meat on the bones' behind the two links.

10 Qualities Recruiters Never Want to See in Candidates

1. Vagueness
2. A Lack of Loyalty
3. Indifference
4. Excessive Agreeability
5. Disorganisation
6. Abrasiveness
7. Arrogance
8. Verbosity
9. Ignorance About the Company
10. A Lack of Professionalism

...and

5 Questions You Should Ask at Your Next Job Interview

1. “How will you measure the success of the person in this position?”

2. “What are some of the challenges you expect the person in this position to face?”

3. “Thinking back to people you’ve seen do this work previously, what differentiated the ones who were good from the ones who were really great at it?”

4. Ask the question you really care about.

5. “What’s your timeline for next steps?”

Do you have anything to add?

• Hi Steve,

It's funny that the qualities are largely subjective - in an interview anyway. Lack of professionalism has been brought up - we all have ideas of what is professional and what isn't. I doubt all the ideas are exactly the same though! I've seen some lovely people get so excited when discussing their passion, it could come across as arrogance or excessive agreeability.

Maybe it's me, but I wonder whether I could make a killing training people 'how to succeed during an interview' - doesn't matter on their skill-set for the role ;-) but as long as they are precise, neutral in approach (can't be too excited, can't look bored), have been shopping beforehand etc etc they should be fine! (sarcasm this late on a Thursday)

The 5 questions piece made me smile - and it sounds like I've had similar experience to Jeny. I once interviewed someone who had written down these types of questions, and even though we'd actually covered a couple of the answers already, they asked because they were so nervous they were on auto-pilot - once they finished asking, they then realised we'd already answered it. (First ever interview we then found out; unfortunately our offices at the time were very strict on 'interview ettiquette' so although I'd always prefer to be in a comfy quiet place, we had rooms more like interrogation which never helped those nerves).

I would say though, I've also interviewed someone who interrupted myself and another interviewer repeatedly to ask their own questions, so we didn't get a single answer. I stopped the interview to point it out, because I felt I owed it to them to say that their approach was hindering us in understanding them, and would result in rejection if we didn't get our own answers.

Kind regards,
    Laura
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

13 Apr, 2018 10:02

In reply to Laura Fazackarley:

I can relate to what you're saying, Laura... and just noticed you've passed the 100 posts milestone. Thank you :)
  • Hi Steve

My favourite when interviewing is the response from candidates- 'I thought you might ask me that question'.

The only problem is you are creating high expectations. The answer you give needs to be a Pulitzer prize-wining answer!
  • In reply to Jeny Parsons:

In my view, candidates aspiring for mid-to-senior positions, may ask what support will be provided by the management. Further the candidates can try to find out what are the expected deliverables in next 3 months and 6 months' duration.
    This may set up the tone and organization's expectations in the mind of the candidate. In case hiring manager is lesser prepared for these questions, she or he should respond to the candidate later.
  • Sometimes my overwhelming concern if the candidate is due to be working in my team is how well (and how frequently) they make tea...

;)
  • In reply to Meg:

I have no chance of getting a job with you Meg then. Although if it was coffee than I may have fared better!!

• I am loving Simon Sinek at the moment and used a few of his techniques in a recent interviews. To see the candidates faces light up, they really shined. Lets face it, unless they are a compulsive liar and their CV is a load of bull...they can technically do the job, otherwise you wouldn't be seeing them, right?

So its mostly about team and company fit. Do their values match yours? If not once the hype of the new job has worn of, you will more than like end up with a disengaged employee.

My fave none job related question to ask now are...

• What is it that you have to give to our organisation that you believe we will need?
    • What is it that you want from us?

and the one that lights them up....

• When in your life have you been so passionately focused on an activity that you lost track of time?

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Apr, 2018 07:32

In reply to Nicola:

Nice post, Nicola.

I found this post absolutely fascinating...

The Science of The Job Search, Part I: 13 Data-Backed Ways To Win

• I've lost patience with rubbish interviewers before and pointed out why their questions weren't going to elicit them the information they actually needed to make a good appointment.

I didn't get the job, but by that stage I didn't want it, so figured I might as well.

Hi

I've done my fair share of interviews also, and I find that people generally find this difficult. It could be that there is a stigma around weaknesses and making people look incompetent.

I agree it shows a lot as most people learn through their mistakes
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Ooohhh mine! You made me smile.

"......And just wants to shout "next!"
  • I have just been offered a interview and been told I have a 20 min written exercise, anyone had this before?

My pet hate is when I ask the interviewer about mistakes - they always dodge them!
  • In reply to VANESSA BAWDEN:

Yes Vanessa, I have. Have they given you a clue about what the exercise is? If not, you may be able to guess from the contents of the job description. What kind of role is it for?
  • In reply to VANESSA BAWDEN:

Yes - we often do this

One of my favourites was the guy we were interviewing for a job as a payroll supervisor. we gave him (and all the other candidates) a test calculating things like maternity pay, SSP etc. He turned to the person administering the test and said "I have a woman that does that for me". Not sure how we managed giving in to the temptation to ask for her phone number!