Interviews: what to ask... and how not to act. Discuss...

Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

6 Apr, 2018 11:27

It's Friday... so two articles I read this week which I thought I'd share. While I've picked out the bullet points, you will find the 'meat on the bones' behind the two links.

10 Qualities Recruiters Never Want to See in Candidates

1. Vagueness
2. A Lack of Loyalty
3. Indifference
4. Excessive Agreeability
5. Disorganisation
6. Abrasiveness
7. Arrogance
8. Verbosity
9. Ignorance About the Company
10. A Lack of Professionalism

...and

5 Questions You Should Ask at Your Next Job Interview

1. “How will you measure the success of the person in this position?”

2. “What are some of the challenges you expect the person in this position to face?”

3. “Thinking back to people you’ve seen do this work previously, what differentiated the ones who were good from the ones who were really great at it?”

4. Ask the question you really care about.

5. “What’s your timeline for next steps?”

Do you have anything to add?

• In reply to Geetika Kaushal:

Hi Meg I can make great tea if you are going to pay me £100k with unlimited holidays. I can do it all day if you like no problem. When`s the interview?
  • In reply to Laura Fazackarley:

Interviewing is a mixed bag from organisation to organisation. Most of the time I feel sorry for the candidate - they really have no idea what the panel are thinking. My pet hates are panel members switch-off midway especially if they are senior managers. My daughter went to an interview with a panel she said were younger then her. Two young men and a young woman who repeated the questions the other had asked. One spent the whole duration of the interview on the phone. The other two spent the whole interview asking irrelevant questions - irrelevant because they bore no resemblance to the job description. It was obvious that they had never been trained to hold interviews. My daughter was tempted to tell them what they were doing wrong ie I had given her the model questions and answers in relation to the job description. I told her to put it down to experience. Such disorganisation and disinterest was a reflection of the company and she was lucky to have gotten away.
  • I do think Interviews are also sometimes depends how you would fit there is no one size fits all
  • I think I'd add from the recruiter side, for the interviewer not to be too enthusiastic or excited seeming - I've had managers do this before and feedback from unsuccessful candidates has been that they thought they had it in the bag...