Moving from Payroll to HR

I'm currently working as a Payroll Manager but looking to move into a HR role after 32 years in Payroll.  However I have had lots of exposure to HR systems and processes, and as a manager recruitment and retention of staff, training, HR/Payroll projects, HR processes etc.

I already have a BA (Hons) in Applied Business and Management, so I'm thinking of doing CIPD level 5 or 7 next.  I would however like to start applying for HR jobs while I'm studying.

Any advice would be appreciated :-) 

• I've worked in both over the last 9 years, and we merged out transactional team about 3 years ago. The 'HR' people picked up payroll easily, the 'Payroll people struggled. In our service payroll has an absolute answer. Overtime is plain time, standby is paid up to 37hours etc etc. HR is different, it's not a right and wrong answer like in payroll and that was the stumbling block for a lot of people. That's not to say there are not lots of rules and legalities in both, but payroll is numbers and often a back office process whereas HR is much more around the person.