Really, really weird interview...

I've just had a second interview with a local medium-sized company for the role of HR manager. First interview was standard with several 'Give an example of when you...' and 'What would you do if...' questions. So far, so good.

I was one of two asked back for a second interview. The second interview, which with the same two interviewers as before but also the CEO, was an hour of 'If you were an animal, what would it be', 'Who would you most like to have round for dinner', 'Where's your ideal holiday', and 'What's your perfect weekend'. 

Eh??? Did I miss the CIPD's briefing on new questioning regime?

Were they just trying to see if I'd fit in (which is what I was told) or were there ulterior motives behind each of the questions. Because I said 'hedgehog' to the animal question does this mean I'm prickly and hide from conflict; should I have said something more aggressive like Rottweiler or polecat? As 'Italy' was my ideal holiday does that mean I'm unadventurous and conventional; should I have gone backpacking in the Andes or building schools in Malawi? By the end of the hour I was absolutely drained. 

Joking aside, it was actually a surreal experience and made me wonder what I was getting myself into. Luckily, I didn't get the job. Anyone else had - or conducted - an interview like this?

• I had a really similar experience not too long ago for a really well known brand. The interview started out completely normally and then there was a break and a 2nd interviewer came into the room and started asking me about my fave movies and pizza toppings and if I liked a drink. It was all very odd, I took it as a sign that working there was not for me.
  • In reply to Ashling:

In a previous HR role, I inherited a standard set of interview questions which contained 'what animal would you be' and 'describe yourself in five words' - both of which I found bizarre given that no one is going to describe themselves in a negative way (no matter how applicable they are!) - responding with adjectives such as indecisive, forgetful, arrogant or obnoxious would be far too honest to result in high scores!
  • I got asked what book I was currently reading. However I wasn’t currently reading a book at that time so just made one up. I recruit on a regular basis and what animals people like, books they read and tv programmes they watch have no relevance to their ability to do the job in my view.
  • In reply to Nikki Whitelock:

I absolutely loathe those "describe yourself in 5 words" and "how would your best friend describe you" questions. Any interview-friendly answer feels desperately self-aggrandizing.
  • I once attended an interview conducted by the lady who was leaving, let's call her 'Polly', and her boss. He looked bored and sulky throughout the interview which was conducted mainly by Polly with the usual run of competency-based questions, I felt we were getting nowhere so asked him what he was looking for in Polly's replacement? "I want another Polly", he said. "But what does that actually mean in real terms?" I asked, and he repeated "I just want another Polly" twice without defining what that actually meant. I stood up and told them both I saw no point in continuing the interview on that basis, and left! (I could quite understand why Polly was leaving!)
  • I was asked about 19 years ago "If I was a biscuit, what would I be?" I responded "If it were in my house... eaten." Didn't go down well...
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

21 Aug, 2019 11:48

In reply to Elaine Helen:

I would've said "Nice" (obvs)... but your answer is perfect!

Jammie dodgers.

• I always like to throw in one (and only one) 'left of field' question when I'm interviewing. A good number of our interviewees are applying for sales roles and our customers can ask very odd things sometimes. In this context it's very useful to see how the interviewee reacts and deals with an unexpected situation. My favourite question is "How would you get an elephant in a fridge?" Responses are varied - a candidate can look blank and be completely flummoxed, can object to the question as being irrelevant, can join in with the intrigue and suggest a way, can be extremely analytical and try to work out volumes/weights etc or can answer in a very humorous way!
    The chosen response in this circumstance can be valuable in helping to assess their suitability for the role. My favourite answer was "Coax him in with a bit of chocolate!"
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Groan :-)
  • I am looking for work at the moment and have had 12 interviews in recent months. One of the things I have noticed in last five years is the propensity for 2nd interviews and personally I am sceptical. Most seem rather aimless for the 1st, a sort of getting to know you exercise. But that is what the CV and application form is for. Advertise; Sift; Interview; Decide. That seems to me to be the best approach. My last position was a 2nd interview but in that case, like you, the CEO was part of the 2nd panel. He however was focussed and added something. I have also noticed that interviews have jettisoned the Equal opps question which used to be a staple.
  • In reply to Sue Eakin:

"How would you get an elephant in a fridge?"

Obviously, you open the door, put the elephant in, and close the door.
    How would you get a giraffe in the fridge though?
  • In reply to Tania:

..... buy a really, really tall fridge .....
  • In reply to Tania:

Take out the shelves!
  • In reply to Tania:

Take the elephant out first!
  • In reply to Sue Eakin:

You got the job ;-)