Getting into HR

Hi,

After giving it much thought i’ve decided that a career in HR is where i see myself going.

At present i’m a Security Manager following 10 years as a police officer. I hold a BIFM 4 Certificate in Facilities Management through Sheffield Hallam. I hold both IOSH and NEBOSH.

In my role i deal with TUPE, investigations, chair disciplinaries, recruitment and new starter training.

If anyone could give any advice on how to get into HR i’d be extremely grateful. I’m also looking to study a HR related qualification to boost my chances.

Thanks for ahy advice,

Carl

• Hi Carl,

start your HR training so you can put that on your CV, then start applying for jobs that you fit the criteria for currently. When you are just starting out/having a career change a good tailored cover letter is important, as from what I have seen rightly or wrongly judgment is made on your CV before giving you the chance to explain why you think your skills will be transferable.

What makes you interested in a a career in HR? and what does HR mean to you? What are your values and beliefs etc etc.

Tip... look up Simon Sinek on YouTube (if you haven't already)

Good luck!
    Nicola
  • Hi Carl,
    You are making a great career choice as HR is a brilliant field to base a career within. I am however, outrageously biased in this regard.
    Based on what you've outlined as you're experience above, this would very much be considered good experience for generalist HR activities but HR is a broad spectrum with lots of other areas and facets with which you could become involved in too.

There are a number of ways you can take this forward and seeking qualifications would be really useful help on your journey. In my experience, the problem lots of people face when they cross over into HR is the requirement some businesses place on candidates for HR vacancies to already have some experience within HR , sometimes unnecessarily so. Therefore, I'd recommend you seek out some work experience to help plug that gap a little. Some HR-departmental experience coupled with your line manager HR experience will be a great combination for you to sell to land a HR role.

Best of luck.
    Mark