Advice on direction to take

I would really like some advice as I am torn between the experience I have and trying to grow within HR.

I've worked in operations where I did have a lot of exposure to the HR side of things (D&G, recruitment, PDP, payroll etc) and last year made the decision to move into HR to further my career. 

I am driven in growing and developing and ideally my aim is to be a director of HR. I was lucky to get my foot in the door last year in recruitment and I have been studying my CIPD level 5 to broaden my HR knowledge.

The issue I am experiencing is that although I enjoy recruitment, I want to learn more - more about HRBPs, reward, organisational design however I am struggling to find jobs whereby employers look at my cv and say - ooh maybe she's good to interview.

Is there anyone that can give me guidance as to my cv, what level of HR I should be looking at as my next step in career (Officer, coordinator, manager based on my CV)?

thanks

Suzanne

• Hi Suzanne

Might there be any scope with your present employers for you to obtain development experience in areas of HR other than recruitment?

- at least that ought to flag-up (even more?) to your present employers that you're keen to do this and enable you truthfully (or thereabouts) to state on your CV to potential future employers that you have practical vocational experience of areas other than recruitment.
  • In reply to David:

Hi David - thanks for reaching out! That was my idea when I first joined the company, however circumstances have changed and I want to be able to work in an environment where i feel good about the practices the company takes. Besides that, it's also very difficult to progress within the HR department here as everyone is closed off - very focused on their own job and not happy (it seems) to share their experience with me
  • In reply to Suzanne:

Suzanne, do your current CIPD studies include a workplace project? If so you could use that as a way into learning more about other areas with your current employer. If not, you could still use the studying as an excuse to go and talk to people in other parts of HR about their work. Ask them for 15 minutes of their time to help you understand the practical application of something you're currently studying. You may discover some scope to move into another area that way.