HR Assistant role - requesting a pay rise...

I am around 10 months into my 1st HR role as HR Assistant and love every single aspect of it.

I am also very close to finishing my level 3 CIPD diploma studies and my employer have guaranteed that they will sponsor me through level 5.

My only gripe is that I feel that I am grossly underpaid for the amount of work I do and also for the nature of the work.

I know of others in similiar positions to me (1st HR role, studying etc) who are paid a large chunk more than I am which is mainly what has got me thinking I might be underpaid. I am also paying myself through my diploma.

When offered the job and told of the salary, I was disappointed but so eager and excited to be given the opportunity, that I chose not to mention it or question it.

I wonder if anybody would have any advice on how best to approach this with my line manager and the partners of the business?

Is there also a reliable source for finding average salaries for these types of roles?

• Hi Natalie, Do you have regular 1-2-1 meetings with your line manager? Are you ok with approaching them? ( Hopefully the answers is yes!!) My suggestion would be on completion of your level 3 request a review with your line manager. In this review I would complete your own benchmarking exercise for roles similar to yours and do this within a 20 mile radius. Try to consider size of company, tasks etc. Create a summary of this research ( happy to send you examples of something I have done before) I would then discuss this with your LM and ask them for direct feedback on your progress and if there is any opportunity for progression/pay increase given that they appear to be out of the current market rate for your role. For your research you can use payscale/Reed etc. Your best bet ( I find) would be to quite literally search for your job( as you would if you were looking to move) this will give you the best idea of the market rate in your area. Best of luck! :)