HR Interview Competency Qs - any tips?

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask for some help/advice please.

I have an interview for a HR Generalist role this week. I am currently a standalone HR Manager to 80 employees (was 160 before restructures). This Generalist role is part business partnering, part generalist and admin so is very varied and will be a great new role for me.

They have said it is a standard competency based interview for 1 hour and the emphasis may be on employee relations examples.

Is there any questions you would ask or have been asked based on a HR specific competency interview?

I have looked up the standard competency questions but just wondered if I had not thought about some and I want to make sure I am fully prepared for this interview. 

Many thanks in advance,

Emma 

• Have they given you a job description or person specification? If so, you could prepare some examples of times where you've dealt with situations that show where you meet the specification for the role.

If I were interviewing I might ask something along the lines of:
    Tell me about the most challenging employee relations case you've dealt with.
    What role did you play in the situation?
    What was the outcome?
    Was it the right outcome?
    What did you learn from it?

I'd be looking for a clear, fairly short precis of the case, an awareness that the HR role was to advise and coach the manager through the process, a reflection on the outcome and the ability to assess if it was the right outcome for the business, the individual involved, the manager and from a legal/risk perspective and to see if you had learned lessons/implemented changes in the organisation as a result of the case.

I'm sure our learned colleagues here will have some great ideas too!

Jackie
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Thank you Jackie