Career Change Help

Hi Everyone, 

Hopefully someone can help. 

Im looking into a career change from distribution sector into L&D. I have worked in this area for the last 4 years as I just happened to fall into the job. I have a Bachelors degree in Arachaeology so I do have some experience in group training and project management. However I'm just not sure how to get into this area. 

Is this something I would need to retrain in? Would I need a qualification before I would even be considered for a position. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

• Hi Megan, I apologise in advance if this seems patronising, it is not my intention in the slightest.

I think, like a number of questions like this it helps to put yourself into the shoes of someone recruiting for the level of role you are looking for. Recruitment is, for the most part, an exercise in minimising risk - you cannot know how someone will perform in the role you have, so you put a lot of process into trying to find out. One of the key indicators whether someone can do the role is, patently, if they have done a similar role before. That's why functional experience and demonstrated capability feature heavily in most organisations recruitment strategy. Its a sad fact of life for those looking to change direction - at least on a level basis - that most roles of this type will attract a number of applications from people with demonstrated competence in the role, and that the likelihood therefore is that anyone who hasn't is unlikely to be sifted in.

Therefore, anything you can do to try and convince a potential employer that you are competent now will increase your chances, but its fair to say that it will likely move from no chance to a slim chance. Even qualifications, whilst a help only demonstrate part of what many employers will look for - many will value functional experience much more heavily.

There are employers out there who will have an open mind, look for potential, understand what you have done can bring to the organisation but in truth, and in my experience they are limited, even if you are prepared to take a big drop in status or salary. Sometimes the best way is to hope for another fall into the L&D sphere next!

I am sorry I cant be more positive but I sadly I think its realistic.
  • In reply to Dermot John Cole:

Hi Megan

Dermot makes some fair points. However there some things you can do to maximise your chances. A qualification might help, but being well read on current practices and new ideas in L&D won't hurt either.

There are ways to gain practical experience too - I gained an awful lot of training delivery experience by volunteering for the NCT as the Regional Trainer for Yorkshire. NCT put me through a Train the Trainer course and I had loads of opportunities to deliver training to groups of volunteers at weekends and on evenings. Obviously there is a time commitment there but it was worth it. I'm also currently helping out at my local cub pack which involves planning and delivering learning activities to 8-10 years olds.

I wonder if there might be opportunities for you to deliver talks to Young Archaeology clubs locally, or other local history groups etc. Could you volunteer at your local museum delivering talks to visitors?

I hope that gives you a few ideas about how you could develop some relevant skills and experience.

Kind regards

Jackie
  • Hi Megan,

The one thing you need is an awful, awful lot of luck. I am a qualified teacher, I have a Bachelors degree and an MBA, and I'm having no luck whatsoever despite around 20 years in HR!

Every role (that's bothered to send a reply) says they're looking for the bit of paper to prove I can do the job - I guess experience can't be quantified. To try an stack the cards more in my favour I've just started the Level 5 CIPD certificate through Avado. Whether this is useful or a waste of time and money is to be seen...

I agree with the others. In a selection process you will be compared with those who have lots of appropriate bits of paper and experience, so you probably need to get more for yourself. You could try voluntary work, or become a charity trustee with responsibility for LD. Schools are always looking for governors - perhaps look into that.

You're also not selling yourself well. Rather than 'I happened to fall into the job', make it 'I saw an opportunity to extend my range of tasks and stepped up to the role'.