Thinking of giving up on my HR career :(

Hello,

I’ve really demotivated about the trajectory, or complete lack of, in my HR career. I attained a HR degree in 2008 and I’m an associate member of this fine establishment.

Quick career overview; I held a permanent position within HR for 8 years in the same organisation progressing from coordinator to advisor (of the Teacher’s Pension scheme). However, I was then unfortunately given mandatory redundancy.
I took this opportunity to travel the world and experience new cultures for 6 month and since I returned, 2.5 years ago, I’ve been trying to reignite my HR career with no meaningful success.

I managed to get a temporary HR coordinator role for 3 months, a year and a half ago, covering a long term sickness but I've not be able to get another HR role since.
I’m applying for both entry level and HR Advisor roles but it seems to be a glass ceiling and floor scenario due to me either having too much or too little experience. I’ve had 3 interviews for a HR advisor role in the last 12 months, without success, but nothing at the coordinator level.
As such I’ve been forced to accept a few sporadic temporary finance based roles out of necessity. But it’s not what I enjoy and it bores me due to the lack of human interaction among other things.  

I recently pad a few hundred pounds to get a newly designed CV in the forlorn hope this was my issue. It was not and the status quo continues.

I’m signed up to dozens of job websites, apply for most jobs at coordinator and advisor live, and have about a 2% success rate.

I’m really wondering whether as much as I want to work in HR does HR want me as much in return?
I don’t even know what else I want to do with my working life.

• In reply to James Webber:

Hi James, I;m fairly new to this field and I've applied for various jobs without any luck. I spoke to a recruiter and for every job posted in this COVID era they are receiving around 500 CV's. The best advice I have had is to look for the decision makers within the company via linked in, twitter etc and reaching out to them that way. Think of companies that you would like to apply to and call them, email the de ision makers and message via social media. That may help....I'm still trying.
  • James, I’d definitely agree with you putting your HR experience on the front page otherwise a quick glance suggests you don’t have any relevant experience (if recruiters have a lot of CVs they may not make it to the 2nd page). Definitely try some HR volunteer work as well. You could be a school governor, join your local CIPD branch or the CIPD steps ahead mentoring scheme. Good luck!
  • Hi James, it’s very important to order your experiences based on relevance. As you’re keen for HR positions, it’s better to put relevant HR roles on first page. Recruiters only spend a few minutes even seconds screening CVs, so make sure they grab the important part at first glimpse.
    Good luck!
  • In reply to Sandy:

Thanks for the feedback
  • In reply to Marie Kareen Lee:

Then I guess I need to update my CV!

Thanks for your help.
  • In reply to Robey:

This is really useful, thank you!
    Using an order of relevance rather than date, would you recommend omitting the dates in case the non-reverse chronology appears confusing or would you include them?
  • James, if you have some experience and expertise with TPS, that could be a real 'in' with independent schools at present. With the enormous increase in employer costs implemented a year ago (and in combination with the economic outlook), many private schools are having to consult with their staff about leaving the scheme, putting in alternatives and managing a really complex process. Even with a good HR team, it would be a huge additional project to take on.

So there may be opportunities for interim work with those schools, or if you apply for roles in that kind of school be really clear about your experience and its relevance. The difficulty would be in identifying which schools are considering that step, as it's not something they'd probably advertise. If working in that sector might be of interest, for HR roles in independent schools the best place to look would be the ISBA website (www.theisba.org.uk/.../vacancies.aspx).

Hope that helps.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Well I used to be a one man TPS team within Cardiff Council for 4 years so I'd like to think I've some knowledge :)
    I dealt with everything from retirements/opt outs/the annual return/service queries/retrospective opt ins and relating compound interest, the whole shebang!

Also, funnily enough I've often thought I should offer my services to independent schools near to me. I say this because since I left my TPS role in 2018 and the LG deleted my post I doubt anyone has a full control on the matter.... and I inherited a massive mess.
    As such I think a lot of local state AND private schools might be interested in my services!

P.s. They'll have a hard job convincing their staff to leave the TPS. It's not as good as it once was (what with the introduction of average salary calculations instead of final salary) but it's probably still one of the best pension schemes around.

P.p.s. Thanks for the feedback and link. All very helpful.

Well good luck with it James - I think there's definitely opportunity here. Last I heard, over 100 private schools had given notice of their intention to leave (and that was about a year ago before any of the more recent pressures), and in many of the forums, training sessions, webinars etc, the burden of managing the process has been a real theme.

If ti would help to chat to someone in the sector, do get in touch. At my school are not consulting with staff on this matter, but it's definitely a topic of debate for all the reasons you mentioned.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Out of interest what pensions schemes are being looked at as alternative?
    (I'll understand if you can't divulge said information)

I suppose the bargaining chip that the private schools have is that they (likely) pay higher salaries than the state schools (that is unless the Teacher's Pay conditions have changed in the last 2 years?).

So I suppose it's short term gain, long term loss or the reverse decision.

There's an alternative pension scheme that I think some schools have opted for a - a DC rather than DB scheme, but I imagine their contribution rates are still pretty generous. Drop me an email (nina.waters@emanuel.org.uk) and I'll send you some information, if that's helpful.
  • In reply to theresa:

I wish you the best of luck in your search