Career Change from Marketing into HR

Hello all,

I'm seriously considering a move into HR.  I've done some due diligence, found the course I want to study for, spoken to the learning provider, had a chat with CIPD and also spoken to some recruiters. 

As a bit of background, I have 18 years experience as a marketing professional.  During this time, I've had a lot of involvement in a number of HR practices, including redundancies, settlement agreements, hiring including writing job descriptions, screening CVs and interviewing, and of course, internal and external comms.  I've come to realise that my passion is people, and if I'm honest, process.  I've always worked in IT in a B2B environment, so I'm also very technologically savvy.

I'm currently working on adapting my CV to pull out my areas of HR experience, and writing a killer cover letter that will at least get my foot in the door.  However, my questions are mainly around my employability.  Obviously having been in work for so long I've managed to raise my salary levels over the years, and whilst I expect to take a hit on this front, the question is how much.  I'm going to sign up for my Level 5 CIPD qualification (I was given an exemption on the Level 3), so I will at least have an appropriate qualification, but that will take 14 months, and I'm keen to make the move sooner.

Is there anyone out there that's done something similar?  Or recruited someone in my position?  I'd ideally looking for an HRBP role initially, with a view to progressing my career more into the well-being at work arena, so any guidance on this path would also be gratefully received.

If you got this for, thank you!

TLDR: Would a marketing manager with 18 years' professional experience be an attractive proposition as a career-changer and how far down the proverbial ladder should I expect to slip?!

• Hi

Welcome to the communities.

If you use the search facility you will find lots of people asking similar questions and therefore some great advice.

Bluntly I would be surprised if you can migrate across into a HRBP role as a first move. You will be up against many many candidates who have qualifications and experience.

If you are to make the transition successfully you will have to network really hard ( and in my view a killer cover letter won’t make a huge difference) , try and find roles close to industries you know and apply lots and lots.

It can be done but chances are it will be hard work, will take longer and sadly you may have to be ready to take a bigger hit on your salary than you would want.

But good luck it’s a fantastic career.

Keith