Things you wish you knew

Hi All, I qualify for my CIPD Level 3 in June, I have worked as an account manager for 15 years but have always had a keen interest in HR so have finally taken the jump and landed my first HR role which I start in a few weeks!

I'm thrilled to be starting this new chapter in my career, I've thoroughly been enjoying my studies and taking as much in as possible however I would like to be as prepared as possible going into my new role!

for all those working in a HR Advisor role, could you please share any words of advice you wish you had been given, or would go back and tell yourself when first starting out?

Thanks for you time!

Lee. 

• I remember many years ago, going through a particularly difficult dismissal and subsequent tribunal claim where the person in question had lied about things I found hard to stomach. Afterwards I commented to a (much wiser) trustee that I would never again trust anything said to me if I'd not checked it myself.

She said no - that if you started to believe that everyone will lie to you, then you've lost something of yourself in the process and that you can't do this job any more. Trust in people, because they are mainly good - check what you can where it's reasonable (definitely - that's just sensible practice), but when you find yourself in one of those difficult situations where you despair of the actions a person has taken, remember it's them that is the anomaly and that most people are brilliant. In this job you tend to have more to do with the challenging types, but you need to bear in mind that they are not the norm.