Career change

Hi All, How would you approach a career change from Procurement to HR? What skills would you link and at what level would you start your career? Thanks C
  • Welcome to the communities.

Thus comes up quite often ( although not with the procurement angle) so if you use the search tools you will find lots of helpful hints and tips.

Generally it’s hard work, you need to persevere, probably take a step or two backwards and network like a pro. It can be done but it’s tough.

Good luck.
  • Thanks, Keith.
    I believe that networking is the most difficult now. Do you think that perhaps approaching HR professionals on LinkedIn would be an option?
  • In reply to Claudia Sumbo:

It’s an option but many don’t accept random requests. So you need to find ways to get in. For most people linked in is now little more than a phone directory rather than a networking opportunity.

Your own company is a place to start. Or your local CIPD branch will now have lots of events virtually ( as will most)

If you start a qualification the other students are a great resource.

• In reply to Claudia Sumbo:

Please don't randomly approach HR people on LinkedIn. Networking really isn't the door-opener that people think it is - especially in HR, where we are professionally committed to guiding businesses to make hiring decisions based on objective and fair criteria rather than on who knows who, and especially at the entry level. Once you start moving in C Suite circles, it might be different (I wouldn't know!).

HR is increasingly hard to break into because the majority of roles expect both qualifications and prior experience except at the entry level (and often even then). Those few roles that offer access to the profession without specific experience or qualifications tend to see huge numbers of applicants for exactly that reason. A lot of people seeking to make a sideways step have to accept moving a good way downwards in the pecking order and a proportionate drop in salary along with the drop in status.

The most consistent pathway I've seen work is to begin with temp admin jobs. They are still relatively frequent. If you reliably turn up, do the job and cause no problems you may find that some of the admin experience is HR-adjacent. Even if it isn't, you can let you agent know that you are interested in HR roles and, once you're seen as a reliable and consistent prospect, you'll be first in the queue for new opportunities that suit your aspirations.

In addition, companies like a known quantity. If they can move someone from temp to perm or from a generic temp admin role to a temp HR role who they already know is reliable and consistent, they will generally do so - especially if they are aware of the temp's interest in opportunities in and adjacent to HR.

Being a CIPD student, obviously, will also help. Undertaking your level 3 or level 5 in parallel with this is a great way to advertise the sincerity of your interest as well as expand your professional knowledge of the field. I'd generally caution people from undertaking a level 7 until they are at least in an HR Advisor or equivalent role, and don't an MA in HRM when you have no professional HR experience, unless you plan to stay in academia! People still seem to think it's a fast track to HR management (and colleges, I'm afraid, like to advertise that it is). They are wrong.
  • Hi Keith thanks again for your feedback and thoughts.
  • Hi Robey

Thanks for this information.
    When I studied CIPD Level 7 I was so sure that I would get into HR easily but as you said is not easy. I guess your suggestion for Temp jobs is good as I can start building experience slowly.