Administrator role

Hello all, I was wondering if I could ask for your opinions/advice? I recently completed my CIPD Level 5 Certificate in HRM, and I am keen to start working in the HR profession. I am currently working as a crew manager for an airline. I have been applying for HR roles, and I’ve been invited for an interview at an SME (for a business that operate car rescue/breakdown services) for the role of ‘Administrator’ at their HQ. The job description mentions recruitment admin and arranging interviews, induction, arranging training and holiday planning, and general HR admin as well as clerical work. My questions to the community are: is a job with the title Administrator considered an ‘HR role’ as some of the duties are HR related? And does the position appear to be a good stepping stone into a future career in HR? Would I be able to put on my CV in future that I have ‘HR experience’? I basically want a role that leads to me being able to claim I have HR experience in future so that I can apply for associate level roles. Many thanks, David
  • Welcome to the communities and good luck.

It would be better if the title was HR Administrator rather than just Administrator as that wouldn’t leave any room for confusion with CVs later. But the overwhelmingly most important thing is what you are doing abs if it’s clear this is mostly hr admin then go for it.

Experience is key.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

26 Apr, 2022 08:20

Welcome to the Community, David.
  • It would be ideal if it were a dedicated HR Administrator role, as this would imply that you were working within an HR team, with more experienced HR practitioners available to coach and support your learning. Whilst this role includes features traditionally performed by HR, it sounds more like it's a generic administrator role with no HR professional above it from whom to learn. I wouldn't necessarily discourage you from applying or interviewing, but you might like to think twice before accepting a role like this on the basis of using it as a step into HR.

Having said that, though, it does depend a bit on the business. If it's a start-up with significant opportunity for growth, and as you've already started your HR professional development with the CIPD, you may find that it's a chance to get in on the ground floor and grow your career in the direction your would prefer as the business expands.
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

26 Apr, 2022 15:50

You could always raise the job title issue if you're invited to interview David. There's always room for negotiation :) Welcome to the Community and hope you'll come back and let us know how you're getting on with the job search. We have a free online session on 11 May you may also be interested in all about this topic and it's aimed at people who haven't secured their first job in the HR profession yet: promo.cipd.co.uk/.../
  • with a L5 under your belt I would be happy to view your CV. My HR advisor initially came as hr admin and grew into a bigger role and has developed hugely in so many ways.