Late career change to HR

Hello all,

This is my first post on a CIPD forum, so hello world of HR!

I will keep it brief(ish). I am 49 years old, in transition from a completely different area to HR, and in the middle of CIPD level 5. I have many years of team-side implementation of HR policies, a lot of recruitment/interviewing behind me, project management, team leadership etc. I believe skills mean more than job titles, and all the skills required to be an HR professional are in place, but I lack the job titles on the CV.

I am well and truly stuck in the "you'll be bored"/"need more experience" trap with respect to getting started.

So in your experience, how do people in my position kick things off? I feels like aiming for a vanishingly small sweet-spot at the moment, which is frustrating, knowing how much I have to offer. I'm an unconventional candidate, and it looks like people don't know how to handle me!

Thanks very much all, I really look forward to hearing your thoughts, and I know it takes time to post, so thank you so much in advance for your time.

Alasdair

• In reply to Alasdair:

It might be worth saying where you are based/looking. I imagine this group has a pretty wide network and might know of opportunities or a good temp agency contact.

I do agree that temp work is probably your best bet, or an HR role in an industry you have experience in already. Both may mean you start by doing work below your ability level but it sounds like you are prepared for that. Good luck
  • Hi Alasdair, I'm doing a very similar thing. I have spent most of my working life in Marketing and have switched to HR. I'm now starting my CIPD level 5.
    I put it off for so long as I couldn't afford too much of a pay cut in taking a much less senior role in an industry I am new to. I eventually took a job as an Office Manager, for the moment I have to accept that I do lots that isn't HR (facilities, admin, H&S) but I'd say around 50% of my role is HR and that's the part I enjoy. Luckily my company are supportive in developing the HR part of my role and hence I'm doing my CIPD with their backing. Wishing you lots of luck in getting a break soon, don't give up. How are you finding your studies?
  • In reply to Martin:

Hello Martin, apologies for the late reply. I have been getting in touch with my networks though they are primarily more on the recruitment side and I am hoping to be more general as this seems too narrow for my experience. However, it is leading to some interesting conversations. Thank you very much for your input, the list of recommendations for how to use the network is particularly interesting.
    Alasdair
  • In reply to Kelly:

Hello Kelly, it is great to meet someone in the same boat! I'm pleased you are getting some of that hard to find HR experience. I'm really enjoying the studies, though I find studying part-time a bit frustrating as I feel I can't do the material justice all the time - it's just down to how much free time I have that week... Often not a lot! At the moment I need to do some rapid catch-up on the module I'm doing :) How are you finding it? I really like the topics, it's such a mixture of interesting stuff from different areas. I'm very fortunate at the moment, as I am starting day 1 of a new role as HR Officer (temp) - was really not expecting to be able to do this, but it took the lucky break of someone seeing something in the CV and having a bit of faith. It may not be for very long, but getting it on the CV is a really important step. It's quite a slog getting into a new area - all the comments from people saying it's going to be tough don't really prepare you for the knock-backs and just how all-consuming the job hunt is. And then there really can be a bit of luck - this break came as a result of a combination of some advice on this thread (apply for everything!), and taking a punt on a recommendation from an agency even though it looked like a long shot - they know their contacts/roles, so I think it's worth going with their wisdom even if it seems a bit of a long shot. Anyway, all the best, I really hope it works out well for you.
    Alasdair
  • In reply to Alasdair:

Incidentally, if anyone is looking in on the thread and enjoying the advice, there's an additional tip I think it definitely worth considering. Use of agencies is potentially really important, and working hard on building up the relationship with them, showing enthusiasm/energy, frequent contact, asking for feedback on CVs and then following up by visibly using their feedback and so on. All this helps to make them advocates for you, and they often have long-standing relationships with organisations who trust them. So this can be invaluable - my hit rate for interviews applying "cold" to job ads has not been great, but with a well respected local agency who acted as advocates I was short-listed and managed to secure a really important step along the path. So I would suggest signing up with as many agencies as possible and really taking the time over the relationships.
  • In reply to Alasdair:

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the studies. I can imagine its very hard to fit it all in. I've only just met my cohort for the induction this week, my first workshop is the week after next so a bit too early for me to comment, I'm excited though.
    Fantastic news on the HR Officer role, that's great news. I hope it works out for you and that its the first step in a very exciting HR career!
  • Welcome and Like your openness....
  • Hi Alisdair
    I feel your pain, and wish you luck!
    I made this career transition over a period of time, finally making the 'official' move into HR at the age of 50. Here's what worked for me:

Be clear on your transferable skills and how your achievements under each relate to the role you're applying for - in your CV and all conversations / communications you have about your career goal.

You have a lot of practical experience as a team / people leader - what skills, knowledge and experience can you demonstrate from a strategic perspective? Everything you implement as a manager starts from the strategy and many HR roles are about the strategy.

Networking was essential in my experience - in person, within my company and at events such as CIPD and industry events (I was in insurance and always sought out anyone in any role related to HR / L&D).

LinkedIn - does your profile clearly show what you're looking for and why? Do you post about what you're looking for and why? Do you have lots of HR people in your connections? Are you in HR groups? I'm not sure if I can add an external link on this forum but will try in a separate reply - I have a blog about how to use LinkedIn for your job search that may be helpful.

A mentor can be invaluable - for feedback, ideas, introductions and as a sounding board. CIPD branches often have mentoring schemes, and / or approach someone and / or post on LinkedIn asking for one, or find a paid one. Or even a mix, you'll get different experiences and benefits.

Can you target a company you want to work for, find a role that fits your existing experience and then engineer a move into HR from there? This is what I did. It took a while but was a really worthwhile thing to do, overcoming those 'no experience' objections.

I hope there's something helpful there for you!
    Best wishes
    Karen
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

26 Jul, 2022 08:41

In reply to Alasdair:

Hi Alasdair, to echo Martin and Charmaine, do check out your local CIPD branch events and even those online which are not so local! It's a great way of networking. Maybe even take on a volunteering role with the CIPD or your branch. It will certainly get you in the mix with people professionals and maybe help with some useful contacts.

https://www.cipd.co.uk/learn/branches

https://www.cipd.co.uk/learn/volunteer

• Welcome to the People Profession Alasdair :)
    I would say maybe a good cover letter sometimes is under-rated? I prefer reading these to CV's really, they give an opportunity to explain where you've been and where you are at and why you want the job rather than allowing them to make their own assumptions and decide you are overqualified or will be bored etc. They can spark curiosity whilst CV often all looks pretty similar.

Good luck!