Any tips for private sector HR professional interviewing for first public sector?

Hello all, 

I have worked in HR for 17 years, always in the private sector, mostly hospitality and retail, although I have spent the last 3 years heading the HR function in a medium-sized tech company, a business unit of a larger group. I now want to move into the Public Sector and have an interview on Tuesday for an HR department head role. I am very excited about this. My reasons for wanting to move after all these years are two-fold: 

1. I have had enough of the sometimes greedy mindset of our company's C-suite. I fully understand it is all about profit but there is often very little consideration for the people. Put it this way, they are constantly praising the staff, sending thank-you emails etc. but our benefits are minimal (i.e. statutory maternity / paternity pay, no 'death in service' - last time we asked we were told it was a 'no', as they did not offer this across the Group, and had no plans to). When I spoke about our current initiative to measure - and respond to - employee sentiment - the CEO called it 'bollocks'! Now seeing him rock up in his Porche SUV and doing the royal walk round (when I know he does not care for the people) is really rankling. In other words, I am looking for a greater sense of purpose. Something that is not all about money. Again, I get it, that is the nature of business but I have experienced many unethical businesses now and would like a change. 

2. I will be honest, the sense of job security also appeals to me. I am in my late 40's now with a family, and just want to settle somewhere long-term. 

So anyway, I have been sent a large interview pack. It is unlike anything I have ever seen in the Private Sector. Still, I feel having so much detail will help me to prepare properly and fully represent myself. I am preparing answers according to the 'STAR model' and their stated values, and experience as outlined in the Success Factors methodology. 

My question is about the general style of interview and expectations. Are they looking for lengthy, conversational answers? What type of person fits the culture? Indeed, how much is culture a deciding factor? How are these things scored? I appreciate these are broad, vague questions - I guess I am just after some generic advice as I am not entirely sure what to expect. It all looks quite different from what I am used to. I would be grateful for any feedback - thank you!

• Saw this post and had to respond...

If you want to work at a snails pace, be inundated with unnecessary paperwork, have stagnated pay for years to come, be confronted by copious amounts of red tape for the smallest of requests... you will love it.

To me, Public Sector is a graveyard of people who love to tell you why something can't be done.

Good luck!
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

3 Apr, 2024 20:33

In reply to Tom:

Oh, Tom. You're welcome to your view.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

I know, Steve - not the most eloquently put view... but I've worked Public Sector on a few occasions and each time, I am reminded why I said I would never work Public Sector again!
  • In reply to Tom:

Tom, your comments reminded me of my time working for a FTSE100 company.
  • In reply to Steven :

That's surprising to me, but I guess it depends on each company - if the FTSE org is servicing governement i.e., a company such as Capita... then it is really just an extension of Public Sector environment with red-tape and delays. I've been working FTSE orgs for a while that have no links to Public Sector and find the mantra is usually 'better to ask for forgiveness than permission'