New HR Officer role advice

I recently started a new role as HR Officer and wanted some advice. I wanted to check if the following is normal practice. In my previous HR role I would have inducted new employees and 1st 2-3 weeks would have been very much induction introduction meetings, training on systems and policies and procedures before expecting much actual work from the new employee As a new employee myself I have experienced a different process. I was given a laptop on day one and login details. I had to ask another admin team member what files I had to access and then contact IT myself to arrange this. I was not given direction on procedures but advised about break times and given a verbal general overview of company. I started to read through policies I found on my pc myself to try to be proactive. I asked for an org chart and was told it was on the hris system to look at. I did not get login to the hris system until week 2 when I realised I could not get online. During week 2, I was handed 2 large files told both needed done that day. One was pre employment checks and the other shortlisting. Which one did I want to do as I said I knew about recruitment at my interview. I was asked to help with payroll calculations in week one and 30mins before end of the day on Friday I was told info was needed by end of day. In week 2 I was asked to be a note taker in an investigation meeting. I asked in advance was there anything I needed to know befire going into the meeting. I was told no just take notes. I struggled as I was not sure who the attendees of the meeting were but I took the minutes as I’m confident to do this but had to work out names after the meeting. I’m unsure if anyone had similar experience as an HR Officer? My last roles there was a lot more training and mentoring given before handing over the actual physical duties. I have lots of experience and cipd level 5 qualified so I feel I’m capable but this has knocked my confidence a little.
  • It sounds like the department has no structure and they're a bit chaotic. I've had good inductions and bad inductions so I can't speak to what is "normal".

Who is your line manager? Have you asked for a catch up with them to discuss induction and information you feel is missing?
  • Potentially sounds like a good opportunity to introduce the idea of structured onboarding to the company! If they're open to it...
  • I'd be assertive and be more specific about what information you need beforehand and simply say if its not given you cannot do it in time as you are already doing your best.
  • A few questions, are you standalone or part of a wider team? Is your line manager part of the HR function or a different function? I would say if you are standalone and or if your manager works for a function outside of HR e.g. finance, this might contribute towards your less than stellar experience to date and the potential lack of awareness or understanding from other colleagues of the importance of how critical the first few months of employment are for any new starter.

It does sound like they could do with introducing an induction and onboarding plan for new starters. Perhaps you could help and make suggestions based on your own experience!

Also I think as David indicates, you need to help manage their expectations and assert what you can do and what you cant with time constraints and also request that the next time you are asked to support in an investigation meeting that you are apprised of this in good time beforehand and given details of attendees etc.

Hopefully giving the benefit of your experience will set them on the right track to make and implement some improvements.