Employee Handbook

Hi all, 

In addition to my other post, we have also had a new employee handbook drafted. Again i would love you feedback on some sections as i am worried that they might be to vague and cause unintended issues. 

Dress Code

All employees should dress in a manner appropriate to the work that they do. Key factors include whether or not the employee meets clients or customers and whether the requirements of health and safety require particular clothing. How you dress is largely a matter of common sense. If your manager feels that you are dressing in an inappropriate way they may ask you to dress differently the next time you come into work. A persistent refusal to comply with a reasonable standard set by a manager will amount to misconduct.

Where an employee dresses in a completely inappropriate way, for example by wearing clothing with offensive images or slogans, then they may be sent home to change. Any time taken to go home and change will be unpaid.

My main concern is the following: "How you dress is largely a matter of common sense. If your manager feels that you are dressing in an inappropriate way they may ask you to dress differently the next time you come into work. A persistent refusal to comply with a reasonable standard set by a manager will amount to misconduct."

Is this a risk of indirect discrimination in making the conclusion that If your manager feels that you are dressing in an inappropriate way?

Thanks in advance

Chris 

• I don't think the policy is risking indirect discrimination, but I think the lack of guidance for managers means you are putting a lot of trust in line managers to apply it correctly and consistently. Do all of your managers know what constitutes an appropriate way to dress and if you ask them all, would they say similar things? How would a new manager coming in know what these standards are?
    And if an employee felt they were being applied inappropriately, how would they check?

I like the policy for the level of trust it gives and that it recognises that employees are adults who can dress themselves, but there is a risk of inconsistent application.