Should we start a new group for discussing 'HR Software'?

Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

17 Aug, 2017 14:59

I've been pondering this for a while.

We get a lot of threads about HR software. There is quite a bit of duplication, although some useful nuanced perspectives - e.g. from those who work in SMEs, charities, etc.

Would a dedicated group here on the Community help - or perhaps a wiki to which we could all continually add from our own experience?

If a group... 'open', or 'member-only'? 

Thoughts?

• Hi Steve, good question. I personally feel posters are generally asking about recommendations and guidance when choosing an appropriate system for their organisation. So I would suggest having a 'What to buy' guide or factsheet rather than a dedicated group, a Wiki would be worth serious consideration and I certainly know Personnel Today offer a buyers guide on HR software. At least that's how I have viewed the various enquiries which have regularly cropped up so it is worth addressing.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Aug, 2017 08:00

In reply to Clare Marie:

Thanks for this, Clare.

Yes, the PT buyers' guide is useful.

I'm leaning towards a wiki... pulling from the discussions we have already archived away.

What do others think?

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

I think it's a good idea to have another forum category for it, but in my opinion member only, to stop spammers plugging their products
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Aug, 2017 10:25

In reply to Luis:

*If* we created a new group we would not allow promotional posts - as is the case across this Community.
  • Hi Steve

As one of the people who has asked for feedback and recommendations before buying an ATS, an HRIS, and job evaluation and salary bench marking software, I think this would be a very helpful service. Before I posted my queries, I did search old threads but it would have been easier if they were all collected into one area.

If you follow up on this, it would be good to save some of the pre-existing threads which have some great feedback and also good suggestions on work-arounds if you can't afford something all-singing all-dancing - I have one in mind that Robey posted on recruitment software. It might have been in response to my query.

I have to admit I don't use the wiki section and don't know enough about wikis to comment on this.

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Aug, 2017 12:02

In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Thanks, Elizabeth.

A wiki is simply a document (or more of a 'page' or pages on this Community) which anyone with access can edit. It's a collaborative thing. There is version control and I can see who has made changes - much like with Wikipedia.
  • Hi I've found the comments on here about HR software very useful. I would leave it just as it is.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

22 Aug, 2017 10:49

Still keen to hear from others :)
  • Yes! I am after some recommendations on a new HR system (appraisal/objective setting and tracking on-going conversations in particular).

Hi Steve

I think this is a good idea. I've not been involved in choosing an HRIS, but if I needed to the Community would be the first place I'd look for suggestions.

People are always going to be looking for different things depending on business size, need for link to payroll, ability to transfer existing data etc, so it would be good to have a central place to find good (and bad!) feedback about the products available.

Ishbel
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

29 Aug, 2017 11:37

In reply to Ishbel:

"...it would be good to have a central place to find good (and bad!) feedback about the products available.

Yes. The only caveat is that we would need to ensure we only get peer-to-per recommendations (as we do now) and that people frame the negatives as 'disadvantages'.

• Hi Steve,

I would personally like to see peer reviews on software options. It's getting harder to get a good objective review on these things as everything is linked into sponsorship etc.

If possible, it would be good to categorise them somehow, maybe by number of employees etc.

Just a thought.

Sam
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

7 Mar, 2018 11:26

As I hinted here, I'm going to explore the option of a wiki again - an attempt to pull together threads that touch on the different aspects of HR Systems.

Would anyone like to volunteer to help me with this exercise?

Hi Steve

I would be happy to help if you let me know what you need doing (and it's not too techy!!).

I'm job hunting and working through Level 5 at the moment, as the FTC I was due to start last week fell through at the last minute. :(

Ishbel
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

9 Mar, 2018 10:48

In reply to Ishbel:

Thanks, Ishbel... I'll email you!