When will CIPD stop wishing me a Happy Christmas and start wishing me Happy Holidays?

I have been a member of CIPD for over 20 years and every year the organization sends me an email to wish me a Merry Christmas.  For the past 5 years, I have sent a message directly to CIPD to ask that this message be changed to a more inclusive holiday greeting.  Clearly, this wish is not respected.

As an HR professional, I encourage employers to practice inclusive work practices.  Wishing people a Happy Holidays is inclusive as is Seasons Greetings.  Not all employees celebrate Christmas and I'm sure that this applies to CIPD members too.

I do not take offence each time someone wishes me a Merry Christmas as I appreciate that this is a message of goodwill.  However, this does apply to a professional body such as CIPD.  I see little value in writing about the value of inclusivity if you are not willing to practice this yourself.

Wishing all members of CIPD a peaceful and happy holiday season.

• In reply to Johanna:

Hi Johanna,

Thanks so much for your message.

I haven't lived in UK for many year. Where we live, it is commonplace for large organizations to send messages wishing people Season's Greetings or Happy Holidays. Therefore I was surprised when the email from the CIPD membership, once again, wished me Happy Christmas.

My family and I have learned a lot from these responses, (particularly the power of responding in CAPs, bold and underlined). We've discussed whether people do need embrace and reflect the culture of the country where they live, and what this means from a practical stance, particularly if you are not Christian.

We don't celebrate Christmas but appreciate that most people do. My daughter has left early for school today as she has a breakfast with Santa, and when we go for our walk on Christmas morning, we will be wished, and will wish, people a Happy Christmas.

Its great to hear that CIPD is recognizing other holidays on twitter. I won't opt out of emails, as suggested by one member as I enjoy receiving content and learning from the association. I may opt out of contributing to this discussion forum.

Wishing you all the best over the festive season,

Debbie
  • I think you are wrong.

I see no reason to object. Its Christmas!. You cannot alter the fact - Or Easter - Lent etc., or anything else. This is a matter of fact - It is Christmas etc., Wishing someone happy Christmas is the same as someone from an Arab country wishing me "Happy Ramadam". Why should I be offended or 'excluded' just because I don't follow the custom - I do respect it though and have done so when in Muslim by not eating in public. It would make no difference if I was greeeted by 'Happy Holiday - I'd still know it was Ramadam they were referring to!
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

20 Dec, 2018 16:46

In reply to Debbie Aarons:

Hi Debbie,

Debbie Aarons said:
    We don't celebrate Christmas but appreciate that most people do. My daughter has left early for school today as she has a breakfast with Santa,

I am a little confused... and I did say yesterday that I thought we should all move on... but we haven't.

I think we should interpret your opening post as basically a personal request to CIPD and as Johanna said, we have noted your preference and have passed this on to our database team.

I hope we don't 'lose' you from contributing over this.

ps I don't really like to see block caps either.

• In reply to Debbie Aarons:

Yes Debbie -please don't stop visiting the forums - I do appreciate your main point was the request to CIPD on a personal note.

I missed that point entirely- And I do agree that the point should have been picked up by them.

Seasons greetings where ever you live. :-)
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

21 Dec, 2018 13:41

In reply to Debbie Aarons:

Hi Debbie thanks for explaining your take on the holiday season - that Christmas walk sounds lovely! We're an inclusive organisation and this community values difference. Our membership marketing team have made note of your preferences for next year. We look forward to your continued participation in the community - you're very welcome to be here. 

All the best Johanna

• Yes, Debbie: I too thought you were generalising and not making a personal request, so now understand your point, and wish you the Season's Greetings and a Happy Winter Solstice, as it is today :-)

Where I am we are just experiencing the most glorious golden sunset to this shortest day of the year.

P
  • This is an example of how we Europeans try to be more modern than modern and end up creating issues where there is no issue at all.

I have lived 2 years in a Muslim country and not only they wished me a Happy Christmas, but Christ is a prophet for them.

If someone in Europe feels attacked because someone wishes them a Happy Christmas maybe they should analyze themselves carefully.

One thing is to respect everyones beliefs and another is to reject out own traditions. Makes no sense at all, and as I said at the beginig it is a first world problem.

You will not find any ethiopian or lebanese (countries where several religions live in relative peace) arise ''issues'' like this one.

Happy new year by the way (hope none following another calendar feels offended though :P)
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

2 Jan, 2019 15:48

In reply to Jose:

Thanks for posting, Jose. An excellent first post, if I may say so.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thanks!!
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Here, here! Totally agree. Welcome to the Community Jose
  • If our goal is to be inclusive or rather, not to exclude people, doesn’t that mean that we should be wishing each other a happy Christmas, and a happy Eidd and Hanukkah etc, etc? Inclusiveness is, for me, about acknowledging and welcoming diversity, not reducing everything to a standardised absence of diversity by editing out any expression that makes reference to a cultural or religious difference.

Having said that, as Debbie is offended by being wished Merry Christmas, then once we become aware of that, good manners should prevent us from repeating the offence. Therefore, if the CIPD’s system for sending out mass communication can be personalised to that extent, I think Johanna, Steve and colleagues are quite right to do so.

• In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

….but just to play devil's advocate for a moment: The wishing of "Happy Holidays" will not do as an alternative, since the term "holiday" is (of course) a reference to "holy day" (or several thereof) and so for any atheist or agnostic, is also a confrontation of their philosophical belief, isn't it?

….and "Season's greetings" will not do without qualification: e.g. "Happy Summer" etc., because otherwise it is indirect reference to whatever "holy-day(s)" is/are currently on hand, so also indirectly discriminatory.

But as we have all suggested, wishing someone a happy …."whatever" (in good faith) can have no detriment attached, so none can be reasonably deemed intentional harassment, or insult, or offense and if (as you suggest) the greeting is not appropriate and no alternative coincides, then the bonhomie intended must simply be set aside....

….Which I find distressingly sad.

I am prepared to be wished happiness in any language, in any season, and for any reason, if that wish is heartfelt and genuine. No matter what my disagreement with the philosophies (or theologies) of my greeter.

Why would I, or anyone, not be?

...For that wish in good faith might be, or become, the first tiny step toward our better understanding, to the breaking down of our disagreements, or at least their setting aside for the greater good of each of us.

One less thing for our worlds to collide over.

P

• In reply to Peter:

Brilliant