Are expectations on learners realistic?

“I’m doing a business studies course at the local university, where we have examined the role of the central bank in economic affairs. But I still don’t fully understand this role. Please explain to me briefly what the central bank does in the national economy.”

Let’s assume that you’ve received this question from a colleague and that, for whatever reason, you – as an HR professional – are the best placed person in your organisation to respond. How would you go about doing so? Would you dredge your mind for the information, or would you use the resources at your disposal to research your answer and provide an informed response?

Alternatively, let’s assume that you wonder whether someone else in your organisation, perhaps in your Finance department, may be better placed to respond.

Honestly, in real life, I could provide an answer to the question, particularly with access to some basic research tools such as Google. However, as someone who has little in the way of a financial background, I would tend to consider that a peer in my organisations finance department may be better placed to answer it. In fact, the way I look at it, my integrity obliges me to ensure that the question is answered by those that are best able to answer it (whether that’s me or someone else).

If my peers were to attempt to answer the question themselves, I may question the validity of this. If they were to attempt to answer the question without referring to relevant resources to inform their response, then quite frankly I may have to question their professionalism. Which, having spoken to colleagues past and present, is a view that they share.

Which leads me to the point of my post: why, to become “fully qualified” in the eyes of the CIPD, are we required to answer questions like this in a closed book exam? Surely there must be a better way to judge ones professional competence than by examining their ability to learn wide rafts of facts by rote.

• Assuming that is an actual question from an HR exam then I couldn't agree more with your last sentence. But then many universities are academic learning places so you just might expect academic questions!
  • In reply to David Perry:

Thanks David, this was a question in January's HRM in Context exam.
  • In reply to Callum:

Cal

I have a dim view of academia and much of what passes for education. Even if business studies, I fail to see a direct link with the subject - although in fairness that might be my ignorance. For example I know several people with whom I went to school with in the sixties who, like me left with zero qualifications and are now far more wealthy than many of the people I know who were far better educated and have qualifications oozing out of their CV's. Not one of these contemporary's of mine would have the faintest clue about the role of the central bank. (Not that I'd have much clue either). But like all good businessmen they knew how to turn what they learned in the world of work into a profitable business.

But HR?? Yes the Central Bank does have a slight impact but I'd hardly see the point in teaching anyone in HR about it.

But I suppose it fills in a couple of their teaching days on your course. Saves them considering anything more relevant perhaps.

I'm not sure an accountant or someone in finance would necessarily know either.

BTW. Are sure that question wasn't in January's HRM Out of Context exam?
  • As one of the main roles of the central bank is to control the money supply and manage interest rates, it's important to know that in relation to the role of HR in establishing pay structures, benchmarking, and generally around what happens in the labour market and how recruitment may be impacted either positively or negatively. HR in context! However, I do agree with David's dim view of academia. You just have to learn the stuff and pass the exam, after which you can avoid academics in most walks of life. I don't know about now, but when I did my CIPD exams many years ago, we had to learn all sorts of statistics stuff. some of it was useful but Exponential Smoothing!! Incomprehensible and never, never used by me or anyone I know since the exam.